Thread poster: Tuula Siimes
Tuula Siimes
Tuula Siimes  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 04:05
French to Finnish
+ ...
Mar 30, 2012

I have purchased Trados Studio 2011 Freelance Plus (SDL Trados 2007 Suite Freelance Bundled with version 2011). In my computer, I still have the old Trados 2006 (version 7.5) on drive C. However, that drive is rather full and I would like to install Trados Studio 2011 on drive D instead. I have not yet attempted installation. I think I need to keep the old Trados 2006 ( = I should not delete it first) so that the installation program will recognise it, as this is an upgrade? I suppose the insta... See more
I have purchased Trados Studio 2011 Freelance Plus (SDL Trados 2007 Suite Freelance Bundled with version 2011). In my computer, I still have the old Trados 2006 (version 7.5) on drive C. However, that drive is rather full and I would like to install Trados Studio 2011 on drive D instead. I have not yet attempted installation. I think I need to keep the old Trados 2006 ( = I should not delete it first) so that the installation program will recognise it, as this is an upgrade? I suppose the installation program will try to install the new version on top of the old one - is it possible to "shift" it easily to drive D? Do I still need to free some more space on drive C?Collapse

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:05
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Impossible Mar 30, 2012

By design, it is impossible to install Studio on any other drive than C: - that's great software engineering

And, to make things worse, SDL doesn't tell you this anywhere - I've learned it the hard way, too. Had to change my newly bought hardware because of this.

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 03:05
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Moving Mar 30, 2012

You can easily move the installed application using Easeuse application mover. However, not allowing users to install at a different drive is a big minus, of course.

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Tuula Siimes
Tuula Siimes  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 04:05
French to Finnish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks - Studio 2011 successfully installed Apr 2, 2012

Thank you for answers. It was good to know that one can not even try to install the program on other drive than C:/. So I did not start to free space on my main computer ( I can do that later), but installed Trados Studio 2011 on my laptop (Thinkpad) because there is plenty of space on drive C. The installation wizard did not even ask to which location I want to install the program.

Thanks also for the tip about the application mover, that may be useful.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

installation of Studio 2011 on different drive than earlier version

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »