Studio 2011: problem with tracked changes in a file
Thread poster: susan rose

susan rose  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:18
Member (2011)
German to English
Mar 30, 2012

I received an uncleaned bilingual .docx file to proofread in Trados 2011. Sounds easy.

When I try to open the file, I get the error message that I have to accept all changes before Studio can open the file.

I have accepted all changes, saved the file under a different name as a .doc, and it still gives me the same error.

It doesn't show up under legacy files because it only shows up as .doc. I tried the SDL database and they suggest opening under the "Tools" menu because I do not have the option "translate". Do I need to make an .sdlxliff file? I am new to this...

thank you to anyone who has a moment to direct me in the right direction!

Direct link Reply with quote

bohy  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 17:18
English to French
+ ...
"Trados 2011" does not exist Mar 30, 2012

There's no such thing as Trados 2011. There is "SDL Trados Studio 2011" (let's say Studio 2011), and you may have somewhere (if you installed it) SDL Trados 2007 (Trados 2007).
In Studio 2011, a bilingual would be an SDLXLIFF file. So, you're not working with Studio here. Apparently, the translator worked with Trados 2007 (or a compatible tool like WordFast Clasic).
You must have installed Trados 2007 and its Word macros, and then you simply open your document in Word, and use the commands under the "Trados" tab.
BTW, if you have not installed Trados 2007, you may be able to proofread your document directly in Word, but you must be VERY CAREFUL not to delete any of the tags, so if you're a beginner it's rather tricky.

ghislandi  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:18
English to Italian
Info Mar 30, 2012

Hello Susan

I am from SDL

Actually Studio 2011 can open a word bilingual file.

Of course it depends from which tool it was created from.
If it is from Wordfast I don't believe Studio can open it.

If it is from the old WorkBench you can open it in Studio.

If you would like to share the file - feel free to send it to me and I get someone to take a look at it on Monday.

Regards
Massi

susan rose  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:18
Member (2011)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Studio 2011 Mar 30, 2012

(I am a newbie to both the ProZ forum and Trados; I'm also under a tight deadline (who isn't when they ask for help??!-- please bear with me)

@ bohy : "There's no such thing as Trados 2011"--- Yes, excuse me. I have STUDIO 2011.
I do not have Trados 2007. Yes, I could proofread in Word, but it's a very long document and I would hate to accidentally mess up a tag... Thank you.

@ gislandi: Yes, Studio 2011 should open a bilingual file. But apparently the unclean Word doc has a bug because every time I try to open it, Studio 2011 gives me the error message that the document contains changes that have not been accepted or rejected...I have thoroughly done both, resaved, made sure track changes was off, saved as RTF and resaved as .doc under a different name, and am now working my way further down Trados's knowlege base list of potential workarounds.

Sorry I'm frustrated: this was supposed to be so easy...

István Hirsch  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:18
English to Hungarian
With Studio 2009... Mar 30, 2012

...before opening the file, I would go to Editor View/File types/Microsoft Word 2007/Other Settings, and would check „Process documents with accepted and rejected changes” checkbox.

Aquamarine76  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 16:18
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thank you Istvan Jan 16, 2013

Very helpful!!!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2011: problem with tracked changes in a file

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search