Superfluous tags - desperate for help
Thread poster: Lotus LS
Lotus LS
Israel
Local time: 17:06
Hebrew to English
+ ...
Mar 31, 2012

Reawakening this topic yet again because I'm truly close to utter despair. I really, really hope someone has a genius fix or workaround for me!! Help...

My previous threads:

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/220793-despair_with_tags.html#1913548

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/219158-can_i_get_rid_of_tags_in_a_source_word_file.html

I am having this problem repeatedly and constantly. The originals are Word files in Hebrew which have possibly been put together from several sources, worked on by several contributors, used with track changes on and then off, etc. The files come from different clients and are of different formats, lengths, etc. But they all open in Trados with tags before and after every single word.

First I try clearing all formatting in the document and restoring default settings in the Font dialogue box. This sometimes helps.

I bought the CodeZapper recommended by some users here, but sadly it has no effect whatsoever on these files.

Next I save the file as a .txt. This often helps, but, obviously, means that I have to manually reintroduce all the formatting later. This is a workable though cumbersome solution.

BUT in some cases, when I try to open the txt file in Trados, something bizarre happens - the Hebrew text appears, some in the left column and some in the right column of the Editor - as if some is source and some is target text. If I go to the target part of the segment I can change it, but then the Hebrew text that was in there gets lost for good. So this obviously is not workable.

I've tuned the settings so that Trados can mostly live with my ignoring tags, which helps, but only when there's a reasonable quantity of them - I can't look at a segment with 20 tags for 10 words and understand what I'm reading.

I feel like I'm close to spending more time on this than I save from the TM functions... please help!!!

Direct link

Lotus LS
Israel
Local time: 17:06
Hebrew to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
P.S. Mar 31, 2012

P.S. Also, I've been getting an out-of-memory exception error when I try to open a long file - it won't work until I cut it up into pieces of about 40 pages - is that normal?

Direct link

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 16:06
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Dear Lillee Mar 31, 2012

In accordance with the site rules, postings should not be made more than once and the same topic should not be posted multiple times or to multiple forums - please refer to http://www.proz.com/siterules/forum/3#3

You have already started two topics on this issue, so please continue the discussion one of the two existing topics. I am locking this thread.

Natalie,
ProZ.com moderator.

Direct link

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Superfluous tags - desperate for help

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search