Trados Studio 2011 - diacritics problem
Thread poster: KLLS

KLLS
Poland
Local time: 09:28
English to Polish
+ ...
Mar 31, 2012

I've got a problem with my Trados Studio 2011.

For no reason on of the diacritics that is inserted by a combination of ALT and letter l doesn't work. All the other combinations of ALT and other letters work, the language on the language bar and in the program is set correctly, the combination works in Word and in the browser, it just doesn't work in Trados.

Does anyone know what can the cause be and how to fix it?

Andrzej Lejman  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
German to Polish
+ ...
See Apr 1, 2012

http://www.proz.com/forum/polish/221608-trados_studio_2011:_nie_mogę_pisać_polskiego_znaku_ł.html

A.

KLLS
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
dziękuję Apr 1, 2012

Dziękuję!!!icon_smile.gif)))

Ines Burrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:28
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Similar problem in Latvian Apr 1, 2012

I do not understand Polish so I am not 100% sure it is the same problem but a Latvian diacritic character Ā does not work (ā works though) in Studio 2011. It worked in 2009. It would be interesting to see if the problem is the same with one specific Polish character.

KLLS
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
the referring link Apr 1, 2012

The program obviously has some other quickinsert button assigned to the letter, so you should try checking Tools -> Options -> keyboard shortcuts -> editor/quickinsert toolbar
and see if the letter is assigned to any of the program shortcuts, and change it if it is.

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Traditional Ctrl+Alt vs AltrGr mess... Apr 1, 2012

Kat Lewandowska wrote:

The program obviously has some other quickinsert button assigned to the letter, so you should try checking Tools -> Options -> keyboard shortcuts -> editor/quickinsert toolbar
and see if the letter is assigned to any of the program shortcuts, and change it if it is.

The Trados programmers are traditionally unable to handle correctly the keyboard i.e. the Ctr+Alt based shortcuts are interpreted incorrectly as AltGr (right Alt).

In theory, a workaround for this problem was found at the Studio 2009 beta stage, i.e. the letters with diacritics were handled correctly but the corresponding Trados shortcuts became unavailable which was basically better than no diacritics at all... icon_smile.gif

It seems the Trados guys never learn.
The Windows system keyboard should never be hijacked by a well written program...
BTW, Wordfast Pro has exactly the same Alt+Gr related problem.

Catspeed
GG

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Studio 2011 - diacritics problem

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €435 / $519
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €435 / $519 / £345 / ¥63000 You will also receive FREE access to Studio 2019 when released.

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search