Convert .TTX files into .ITD - NEWBIE IN PANIC...!
Thread poster: denoel
denoel
denoel
Local time: 11:11
Apr 3, 2012

Hello everybody,

My name's Denoel, I'm a TOTAL beginner in using CATs, and they still appear to be rocket engineering science softwares to me...

I'm working on a Linux platform stand alone Wordfast Pro 6 (yeah, I quite like to shoot my own foot). I've received an .ITD file, converted it into a .TTX file with SDLX (running with Wine), translated it, extracted my .TTX file, all good so far.

I naively thought that I just had to open my newly translated .TTX fi
... See more
Hello everybody,

My name's Denoel, I'm a TOTAL beginner in using CATs, and they still appear to be rocket engineering science softwares to me...

I'm working on a Linux platform stand alone Wordfast Pro 6 (yeah, I quite like to shoot my own foot). I've received an .ITD file, converted it into a .TTX file with SDLX (running with Wine), translated it, extracted my .TTX file, all good so far.

I naively thought that I just had to open my newly translated .TTX file with SDLX and easily save it into a .ITD file to deliver it to my customer, but I have to face that this does not work.

Could anybody help me on that front, please? I'm in a quite short time span before delivery, and feel a bit edgy right now not to be able to do so...

Thanks in advance!

denoel
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:11
English
Harvest TTX Apr 3, 2012

Hi Denoel,

There is a Harvest exported TradosTag TTX option in Edit From the File > Trados menu. So open the ITD you started with and then use this feature to update it from the TTX.

Regards

Paul

denoel
denoel
TOPIC STARTER
nope... Apr 3, 2012

Paul,

First of all, thanks for your lightspeed answer.

I did what you told me, harvested the .TTX translated file, but an error message shows up saying :

The TTX file as not generated by an ITD file

Which is wrong because it was generated by an ITD file...

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
The guess... Apr 3, 2012

Hi Denoel,

In SDLX you have two options for getting to TTX.

1. You can save as TTX
2. You can use the File -> Trados -> Export to TradosTAG TTX format

Our guess is that you used the first option and so now the harvest feature won't work.... you ave described the error message you would get.

So, the other solutions now are:

1. Export correctly and pretranlsate in Wordfast from your TM and then use the Harvest feature to ge
... See more
Hi Denoel,

In SDLX you have two options for getting to TTX.

1. You can save as TTX
2. You can use the File -> Trados -> Export to TradosTAG TTX format

Our guess is that you used the first option and so now the harvest feature won't work.... you ave described the error message you would get.

So, the other solutions now are:

1. Export correctly and pretranlsate in Wordfast from your TM and then use the Harvest feature to get the ITD
2. Export a TMX from Wordfast and import this into SDLX to pretranslate the ITD

Given your clear preference for tools I would recommend you try the first option.

Regards

Paul
Collapse

denoel
denoel
TOPIC STARTER
Headcase Apr 3, 2012

Paul,

I've first exported the file from SDLX, using File -> Trados -> Export to TradosTag TTX format.

Then I got a .TTX file, and happily opened it with Wordfast, with no problem. Segments were recognized, let's get some work done.

16.000 words later (a big job this one is...), I saved my Wordfast working file .TXML, made a backup, and saved translated file, which gave me a .TTX file.

I opened SDLX, and trying to open my new .TTX translated fil
... See more
Paul,

I've first exported the file from SDLX, using File -> Trados -> Export to TradosTag TTX format.

Then I got a .TTX file, and happily opened it with Wordfast, with no problem. Segments were recognized, let's get some work done.

16.000 words later (a big job this one is...), I saved my Wordfast working file .TXML, made a backup, and saved translated file, which gave me a .TTX file.

I opened SDLX, and trying to open my new .TTX translated file, I got this error message.

I thought about doing it all agin on SDLX, but TM wise, this was my first CAT translation work, and I quite don't get how to use it. I know for a fact that my TM is wrong, because when I apply a "translate all", it messes all up, and I've got precise technical charts to keep in precise order (models No, references, compliances, etc...), so I'm a bit scared to rely on it.

I'm just at this highly frustrating point where everything is done, proofread, ready to deliver, but proprietary formats just make it hard to do. Thanks Trados and thanks Wordfast, for the lack of compatibility.

And still my problem remains...
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Is this really what you are doing? Apr 3, 2012

denoel wrote:
I opened SDLX, and trying to open my new .TTX translated file, I got this error message.

You don't open the TTX in SDLX at all. You open the ITD and then use the Harvest TTX option to populate the ITD. Maybe this is what you meant?

To be honest you are using two tools that have little to do with this forum so I'm only trying to help. SDLX is not Trados and Wordfast has nothing to do with us at all. You are also doing quite a bit of CAT Hopping... so whilst the theory sounds good I have no idea what Wordfast might do to the TTX that the SDLX Harvest feature doesn't like. It was probably designed (a long time ago) for use in Trados.

If you can't make this work then I would suggest you export your TMX from Wordfast and pretranslate the ITD in SDLX. I'm sure whoever gave you the ITD would much prefer you use SDLX anyway.

If you have Studio you could also try that route and add a little more CAT Hopping into the equation Maybe open the ITD in Studio, and then pretranslate that against the TMX from Wordfast.... or create a TTX from Studio using the SDLXLIFF to Legacy Converter, then work on that in Wordfast, finally importing that TTX back into Studio and saving the target ITD from there.

Lots of ways to skin the CAT but all fraught with potential problems that a new user may be safer avoiding.

If you like you can send me the ITD and I'll create a TTX, or a Bilingual Doc, you can work on in Wordfast. Then send it back to me and I'll give you the updated ITD... hopefully..!

Regards

Paul
[email protected]

denoel
denoel
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Apr 3, 2012

Thank you Paul, a lot.

I didn't understand that I was not on the good forum, due to my panic moment, so I'll get back to you by email soon.

denoel

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Good forum... Apr 3, 2012

... I think you are on the good forum. Your problem is you are discussing two tools that are not really SDL Trados Support. SDLX is debatable as we do see the occassional SDLX tool, but I think the strengths of this forum lies in Trados/Studio tools.

The best forum for SDLX is t
... See more
... I think you are on the good forum. Your problem is you are discussing two tools that are not really SDL Trados Support. SDLX is debatable as we do see the occassional SDLX tool, but I think the strengths of this forum lies in Trados/Studio tools.

The best forum for SDLX is this one:

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/sdlx/

Regards

Paul
Collapse

denoel
denoel
TOPIC STARTER
... Apr 3, 2012

I'm going to post my question in the wordfast section, then, and coil my fingers...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Convert .TTX files into .ITD - NEWBIE IN PANIC...!

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »