Thread poster: Elsa Figueroa

Elsa Figueroa  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:57
English to Spanish
+ ...
Apr 7, 2012

Hi all,

I am trying to create a TM to import into Trados Studio 2011 from a translated excel file (source and target side by side). I have been researching how to do it, mostly from older proz threads, which instructed me to click on the "align translated documents" in the home screen of Studio 2011. When I do that, however, it automatically opens WinAlign from Studio 2007. I DO NOT own a licensed version of Studio 2007; I only have a demo version installed. I tried aligning the translation with that but since it's a demo version it has limited functionality and won't allow me to do it. Does this mean I cannot ever align translated documents in Studio 2011? I'm very frustrated that I keep running into legacy issues. It's not fair that I spent this amount of money on 2011 and might have to spend even more money purchasing a 2007 suite.

Thank you for your help.

-Elsa

Direct link Reply with quote

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:57
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
some answers Apr 7, 2012

Elsa Figueroa wrote:

I am trying to create a TM to import into Trados Studio 2011 from a translated excel file (source and target side by side).

WinAlign is for aligning a source file and a target file. I suggest you move the target column into another excel file (deleting it from the original file). Then you'll be able to align the two files.

click on the "align translated documents" in the home screen of Studio 2011. When I do that, however, it automatically opens WinAlign from Studio 2007.

WinAlign opens as a standalone application, but it is installed in Studio 2011. You don't need Trados 2007 for this purpose (NB, in Studio 2009 this was not the case).

it's a demo version it has limited functionality and won't allow me to do it.

The demo is a 30-day trial of the professional version, so all the features are there.

Hope that helps!

United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It still seems to need WinAlign from 2007 Apr 7, 2012

Thanks for your detailed reply, Emma. Unfortunately, there must be something I am missing: when I click on the "align translated documents" button in the Studio 2011 Home screen, it automatically opens an SDL Product Activation Wizard for 2007 that requires me to enter a 2007 license OR continue on to the demo version. I open this 2007 WinAlign in demo mode, and while I am able to create an alignment project, I am unable to save it: when I try to save it, I get a dialogue box telling me that since WinAlign is running in demo mode, the "current operation" (i.e., saving) is not possible. Then it refers me to the SDL website for updating the product.

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Ho Elsa Apr 7, 2012

Login to you SDL profile and check the licenses available : most probably you should have a license for Trados 2007 if you have bought Studio 2011.

Natalia

United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No 2007 license Apr 11, 2012

Hi Natalie,

I don't have the 2007 license. When you purchase Studio 2011, you have the option of paying a little more to get a Studio 2007 suite. I didn't do that. I guess I should have.

So I guess no alignment with Studio 2011, which is kind of annoying, because the TM is one of the things that makes Trados so attractive, and I have a lot of past translations I would have liked to align to create a master TM.

Thanks for your help anyway!

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
3 points Apr 11, 2012

1. There is no such thing as Studio 2007. The 2007 suite that includes WinAlign is just "Trados 2007". The Studio brand was introduced in 2009, when SDL rewrote Trados from scratch.

2. It is possible that Studio 2011 comes with a new version of WinAlign, I'm not sure. You might need to uninstall WinAlign 2007 (which you don't have a licence for) and install the new version... I'm sure someone will give you a definitive answer soon.

3. There are plenty of other aligners out there, and most of them are better than WinAlign in my opinion. Third-party aligners are fully compatible with Studio (they usually create TMX files, which you can then import). Search for "aligner" on proz.

United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Other aligning tools Apr 11, 2012

Thanks! That was really helpful. I didn't know you could get other align tools to work with Trados. I'll definitely look into that.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

No file alignment without Studio 2007?

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search