Selling licenses?
Thread poster: Gregory Flanders

Gregory Flanders  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 11:19
French to English
+ ...
Apr 8, 2012

I'm about to purchase a Trados 2011 license from what appears to be a reputable agency here on proz.com, and I just wanted to double check that is possible/legal before wiring the money. The agency in question says they have extra licenses to sell, but will I have access to upgrades and service packs, etc. as long as the transfer of license is recognized by SDL?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Direct link Reply with quote

Åsa Campbell  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 20:49
English to Swedish
Probably not legal Apr 9, 2012

Hi,

Unless the agency is also a distributor for SDL I would be surprised if this is legal.

When you purchase Studio (and any other software) you do not buy the software, it is licensed to you for your personal use. Normally this means that you are not allowed to resell or transfer the license but you will have to check the agreement for Studio 2011,

I've got the software but can not find the License Agreement anywhere on my computer.

I think you should check with SDL before you go ahead.

Asa

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Ask SDL! Apr 9, 2012

I think it is best if you call SDL and ask about whether the company selling the licenses is entitled to do that.

Initially I would be careful with this kind of transaction, especially if the company selling the license promises to send you work if you buy the license (you could be scammed quite easily).

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Maybe check against this list... Apr 9, 2012

... of approved Resellers for SDL products.

http://www.translationzone.com/en/partners/resellers/

If they are on here too you'll have no problems. If they aren't feel free to drop me an email and I can check for you.

Regards

Paul
pfilkin@sdl.com

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Selling licenses?

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search