Cannot create termbase from definition in Multiterm 2011
Thread poster: Artem Vakhitov

Artem Vakhitov  Identity Verified
Estonia
English to Russian
+ ...
Apr 9, 2012

I cannot create termbase in Multiterm 2011 from a definition that I created using Multiterm Convert. All I am getting is an empty error message window with "Cannot create termbase" heading.

I created the definition from an Excel glossary using Multiterm Convert by setting Index -> English (US) for the source column and Index -> Russian (Russia) for the target column and leaving all other setting at their defaults.

Can anybody help?

Direct link Reply with quote

Estonia
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Multiterm hangs after that Apr 9, 2012

I forgot to add that Multiterm hangs after this error and can only be shut down using Task Manager.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:20
English
Have you done this before successfully? Apr 9, 2012

Hi Artem,

I ask because this will help clarify the level of help you need here. Also, it would be helpful if you could give us a step by step walk through what you did and what the file looks like.

The question is a bit wide otherwise.

There are some pretty useful videos here if this helps?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APMcWe2vvJI

http://noradiaz.blogspot.com/2011/08/importing-excel-glossaries-into_03.html

Regards

Paul

Estonia
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The details Apr 9, 2012

I haven't ever done this successfully before.

I did the conversion from XLS to XDT pretty much per Nora Diaz's instructions.

The source file is an Excel file with 5 columns, including the source (English) and target (Russian) ones. When working with Multiterm Convert, I selected only those two columns and chose Index for them according to the language, then clicked Next on that page and didn't add or change anything else. Then I tried to create a new termbase using that definition file by choosing Termbase -> Create Termbase and then pointing to this definition file in the termbase creation wizard. It is at this point that I got the error.

Estonia
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Any hints? Apr 14, 2012

Anyone, Paul?

Estonia
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Bump? Apr 20, 2012

Folks, any ideas? Really need to solve that Multiterm is suddenly not very useful if I cannot create my own termbases.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cannot create termbase from definition in Multiterm 2011

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search