Thread poster: Hanne Frederiksen
Hanne Frederiksen
Hanne Frederiksen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 15:34
English to Danish
+ ...
Jun 22, 2004

I have a problem with the concordance search. When I mark up a word for the search, Trados returns with "No concordance found", even though I know that the exact word (or more often words) are in the memory. This happens in about 40% of the search cases. I recently went from Trados 5.0 to 6.5 (freelance). How is it possible that the software cannot execute such a totally simple task ?

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Try lowering the minimum match value Jun 22, 2004

Hi Hanne,
IIRC the default minimum match value (Options - Translation Memory Options - Concordance) is set to 60 or 70 percent. I tend to use a much lower value (e.g. 30%); although this gives me some more "noise" in concordance searches, I usually find what I'm looking for.

This is also a mathematical issue: if you use a value greater than, say, 50%, you won't get any hits on an expression of two words unless both words can be identified.

HTH, Ralf

RWSTranslation
RWSTranslation
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TM too large, old tm database version or reorganisation needed Jun 22, 2004

Hello,

- try to reorganise your TM,
- check the database version of the TM (maybe try to make a new TM and import the old translation units)
- take a look on the number of translationunits. TMs with more than approx. 100.000 TUs can be problematic.

Regards

Hans

Hanne Frederiksen
Denmark
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, but .... Jun 22, 2004

Hi Ralf,

I understand what you mean, and I will try to lower the limit from the current 70%. But I still find it odd that the software cannot find words that are not 98% exact, but a 100% match !

Thanks a lot for your help anyway !

Hanne

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Are you looking for terms or phrases? Jun 22, 2004

Hi again,
I'm not sure if I fully understand your problem here...

I understand what you mean, and I will try to lower the limit from the current 70%. But I still find it odd that the software cannot find words that are not 98% exact, but a 100% match !

Why would you need a concordance search for a segment that provides a 100% match? Or are you looking for terms?

Best regards, Ralf

Hanne Frederiksen
Denmark
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Looking for terms... Jun 22, 2004

Hi Ralf,

Sorry, I didn't make myself very clear. Yes, I am looking for terms, not entire segments. I have several Trados memories, and the one I am working on right now only consists of about 5,000 units.

Hanne

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
MultiTerm Jun 22, 2004

Hi again,
You may want to consider using MultiTerm for terminology. Having said that, I regularly use the Concordance function to search for single terms.

If you like, you can send me an export of your TM, with a list of some terms you're looking for. Contact me through my profile to get my e-mail address if you like.

Best regards,
Ralf

Romuald Pawlikowski
Romuald Pawlikowski  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
A reference memory defined? Jun 22, 2004

Hi,

I have noticed that when I set up a reference memory and check the option "Search first in reference translation memory" in Translation Memory Options, then I am getting often not so close or hardly useful results. Though there are 100% or pretty close matches in the primary TM.

Regards,

Romuald

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Reference TM Jun 22, 2004

Good point, Romuald!
Incidentally, we were discussing this in the course of an informal training session yesterday. Many users assume that by specifying a reference TM in the Concordance options they will get a parallel search in both TMs. Unfortunately, this is not the case - here's an overview of the behaviour (assuming a reference TM has been specified):

If Search first in reference TM is inactive:

- concordance search will start with the a
... See more
Good point, Romuald!
Incidentally, we were discussing this in the course of an informal training session yesterday. Many users assume that by specifying a reference TM in the Concordance options they will get a parallel search in both TMs. Unfortunately, this is not the case - here's an overview of the behaviour (assuming a reference TM has been specified):

If Search first in reference TM is inactive:

- concordance search will start with the active TM;

- if there is a search result in the active TM, the concordance search will stop;

- if there is no search result in the active TM, the search will continue in the reference TM.

If Search first in reference TM is active:

- concordance search will start with the reference TM;

- if there is a search result in the reference TM, the concordance search will stop;

- if there is no search result in the reference TM, the search will continue in the active TM.

HTH - best regards, Ralf
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 6.5: Concordance not working right

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »