Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Studio Plugin for Microsoft Translator
Thread poster: Patrick Porter

Patrick Porter
United States
Local time: 08:17
Spanish to English
+ ...
Apr 11, 2012

Hello All,

I have just released an OpenExchange plugin app for Studio that connects to the Microsoft Translator API. It is exactly the same as my plugin for Google Translate, other than the different provider.

The plugin can be downloaded here:
http://www.sdl.com/en/language-technology/sdl-openexchange/AppDetails.aspx?appid=217

Signing up for the Microsoft Translator API allows 2M characters per month for free. You have to first 'subscribe' to the Microsoft Translator 'dataset' and then 'Register an Application' to retrieve your sign in credentials, which are then entered into the plugin 'settings' window.

I have posted some instructions here:
http://www.linguisticproductions.com/mtenhancedmst/doc.php


Direct link Reply with quote
 

KoreanXpress
South Korea
Local time: 21:47
Korean to English
+ ...
[segment already translated...source not re-sent] Jun 12, 2012

Many thanks Patrick for this very useful plugin! It is great especially now that Google translator is charging for use.

I have a question though about a minor point of inconvenience....

If I come back to a segment that has already been translated, the message pops up [segment already translated...source not re-sent].
This is annoying because there are many times when I'd like to see the original Microsoft Translator translation, and compare it to what I've written. The only way I can seem to get the Microsoft MT to appear is to press ALT+DEL to clear the target segment, click away from the segment and then click back on it. But this is cumbersome, and of course I don't want to clear the target of my translation.

I understand why this might be built into a plugin, to minimize calls to Microsoft Translator, but I wonder if there is an option to disable this?

I notice with Google Translator that this does not occur- i.e. it returns the translation results regardless of whether the target segment box is empty or not.

Thanks for your help.
Heidi


Direct link Reply with quote
 

KoreanXpress
South Korea
Local time: 21:47
Korean to English
+ ...
Change segment status to 'not translated' Jun 12, 2012

OK I've just discovered that instead of using ALT+DEL to clear the segment, I can just change the segment status to 'not translated', and then the Microsoft Translator plugin will again generate the translation.
At least this retains my translation.
However it is still cumbersome as there is no keyboard shortcut for changing segment status to 'not translated'- (unless I start using a VBA application/hot key solution)


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Patrick Porter
United States
Local time: 08:17
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
This will be an option in a later version Jun 12, 2012

heidi239 wrote:

Many thanks Patrick for this very useful plugin! It is great especially now that Google translator is charging for use.

I have a question though about a minor point of inconvenience....

If I come back to a segment that has already been translated, the message pops up [segment already translated...source not re-sent].
This is annoying because there are many times when I'd like to see the original Microsoft Translator translation, and compare it to what I've written. The only way I can seem to get the Microsoft MT to appear is to press ALT+DEL to clear the target segment, click away from the segment and then click back on it. But this is cumbersome, and of course I don't want to clear the target of my translation.

I understand why this might be built into a plugin, to minimize calls to Microsoft Translator, but I wonder if there is an option to disable this?

I notice with Google Translator that this does not occur- i.e. it returns the translation results regardless of whether the target segment box is empty or not.

Thanks for your help.
Heidi



Thanks for the feedback Heidi.

As you indicate, the native Google Translate provider in Studio does in fact re-send the text to GT every time you enter a segment, no matter the status. However, at the suggestion of various translators, I decided to prevent my Google Translate version from re-sending text. This allows you to navigate through a document without being charged per-character for every segment you enter, even if it is already translated. As you can see, I've included the same functionality when creating the Microsoft Translator version.

In any event, I do see that this can be inconvenient in certain scenarios, and some users have reported somewhat buggy behavior in other situations (i.e. certain file types, etc.). I do plan to add an option to disable this, probably as a checkbox on the settings form. My schedule is rather full with translation projects right now, but I anticipate being able to release a new version with this feature by the end of summer perhaps.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

KoreanXpress
South Korea
Local time: 21:47
Korean to English
+ ...
Thank you! Jun 12, 2012

Patrick Porter wrote:



Thanks for the feedback Heidi.

As you indicate, the native Google Translate provider in Studio does in fact re-send the text to GT every time you enter a segment, no matter the status. However, at the suggestion of various translators, I decided to prevent my Google Translate version from re-sending text. This allows you to navigate through a document without being charged per-character for every segment you enter, even if it is already translated. As you can see, I've included the same functionality when creating the Microsoft Translator version.

In any event, I do see that this can be inconvenient in certain scenarios, and some users have reported somewhat buggy behavior in other situations (i.e. certain file types, etc.). I do plan to add an option to disable this, probably as a checkbox on the settings form. My schedule is rather full with translation projects right now, but I anticipate being able to release a new version with this feature by the end of summer perhaps.


Great! Thank you so much! I'll await the new version
I know this plugin is going to be so useful to me and many others.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

KoreanXpress
South Korea
Local time: 21:47
Korean to English
+ ...
Temporary Workaround (In Case Anyone Is Interested...) Jun 15, 2012

OK just in case anyone is interested, here is a temporary workaround for this issue, until the updated plugin is released.

I discovered from another forum that you can actually use the shortcut keys ALT+DEL+RIGHT to change the status of the current segment to 'not translated'.

At the moment I'm using this with a macro utility called 'Hot Keyboard' (http://www.hot-keyboard.com/). It allows you to record your key strokes and mouse movements I recorded a macro which includes the following steps:
ALT+DEL+RIGHT
Mouse click to the cell below
Mouse click to the original cell.

Then I assigned the macro to a key on my keyboard.
The macro can be set to play back at 10 or 20 times the original speed, so clicking the macro hotkey causes Microsoft Translator to refresh the translation pretty much instantaneously.

You could do the same with other similar macro applications/ VB applications, depending on what you're comfortable with.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Patrick Porter
United States
Local time: 08:17
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
New version released Sep 21, 2012

KoreanXpress wrote:

I understand why this might be built into a plugin, to minimize calls to Microsoft Translator, but I wonder if there is an option to disable this?



In case anyone is reading this thread, the new version implements this as an option. Please refer to my other post for more information:
http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/233237-new_version_of_studio_plugin_for_microsoft_translator.html


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Spiros Doikas  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:17
Member (2002)
English to Greek
+ ...
Studio 2014 Aug 24, 2014

It seemed to work in Studio 2014 by pasting the files in the 11 folder, but after the latest cumulative update it comes up with an error "Cannot load third party plug-in: MteTranslationProvider..."

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Patrick Porter
United States
Local time: 08:17
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
possible bug Aug 26, 2014

Spiros Doikas wrote:

It seemed to work in Studio 2014 by pasting the files in the 11 folder, but after the latest cumulative update it comes up with an error "Cannot load third party plug-in: MteTranslationProvider..."


I will look into this as soon as possible. You can also report bugs on the support page (the link is on the OpenExchange page for the app), which are sent to me directly


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Mohammad Renaldi Diponegoro  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:17
Member (2010)
English to Indonesian
Hope you will consider the 2014 version Oct 31, 2014

SDL updates Trados 2014 quite often, it will be great if your plugin could run in native 2014 environment instead of the 2011 workaround. Looking forward to it.

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Patrick Porter
United States
Local time: 08:17
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the feedback. Oct 31, 2014

Mohammad Renaldi Diponegoro wrote:

...it will be great if your plugin could run in native 2014 environment instead of the 2011 workaround...


I agree...working on it and it should be done soon...hopefully in the next 2-3 weeks. I've been swamped with translation work recently.

As for the problem mentioned by Spiros, I haven't seen it myself even after updating Studio...but if it's still causing problems for people, perhaps trying to delete the plugin's folder from the plugins\unpacked folder and restarting Studio will help.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Gladis Audi  Identity Verified
Lebanon
Local time: 15:17
Member (2014)
English to French
Studio 2015 Aug 17, 2015

Dear Patrick,

Would you consider updating the plugin for Studio 2015? I miss it!!!

Kind regards,


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Wojciech_
Poland
Local time: 14:17
English to Polish
+ ...
A workaround Aug 17, 2015

Hi,
Install the plugin for Studio 2014, and then go to:

C: (if this is the letter of the disk you have your Studio installed) \ Users \ (your user's name)\Appdata\ Local \ SDL \ SDL Trados Studio.

There you will see two folders marked "10" (or 11) and "12". Go to folder "10" then Plugins, then Packages and copy all the files in this folder (Packages). Then paste all the files to the corresponding folder (Plugins \ Packages), but this time in folder "12". Voila.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Patrick Porter
United States
Local time: 08:17
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
official 2015 version out soon Aug 17, 2015

pro-lingua wrote:

Hi,
Install the plugin for Studio 2014, and then go to:

C: (if this is the letter of the disk you have your Studio installed) \ Users \ (your user's name)\Appdata\ Local \ SDL \ SDL Trados Studio.

There you will see two folders marked "10" (or 11) and "12". Go to folder "10" then Plugins, then Packages and copy all the files in this folder (Packages). Then paste all the files to the corresponding folder (Plugins \ Packages), but this time in folder "12". Voila.


Thanks for mentioning the workaround. I haven't tried this, but the same technique worked with the upgrade from Studio 2011 to 2014. There may be issues, though, because Studio 2015 uses some newer technology. So could you comment on whether it worked for you or not?

Also, you would only have to copy the file called MtEnhancedTradosPlugin.sdlplugin from the 11/Packages to the 12/Packages folder.

I should have an official release on the OpenExchange by the end of the week. Also, the plugin is now open source and all the code is available on GitHub at https://github.com/patrickporter/MT-Enhanced-Trados-Plugin.

If you are feeling adventurous, you could clone the repo and try building it in Microsoft Visual Studio (of which there are free/community versions available). There are instructions on my blog, linked from the GitHub repo. That way you would have the latest version of the code and be able to build a copy specifically for Trados Studio 2015.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Wojciech_
Poland
Local time: 14:17
English to Polish
+ ...
It worked for me Aug 17, 2015

Yes, it worked for me perfectly, so it should be working for everyone else, I suppose.

Direct link Reply with quote
 
Pages in topic:   [1 2] >


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio Plugin for Microsoft Translator

Advanced search







Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search