Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4] >
Word Experienced a Serious Problem with multiterm8.dotm (Studio 2011 user)
Thread poster: JoelD
JoelD
JoelD  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:10
Japanese to English
Apr 12, 2012

I am working on a Windows 7 PC with Trados Studio 2011 and Word 2007.

While Trados is running fine (knock on wood!!), I have started getting some Trados-related error messages in Word.

Firstly,

"Macro cannot be found or has been disabled"

This was appearing when I opened Word and I was unable to close it. After opening Word in safe mode, I received:

Word Experienced a Serious Problem with multiterm8.dotm

So I clicke
... See more
I am working on a Windows 7 PC with Trados Studio 2011 and Word 2007.

While Trados is running fine (knock on wood!!), I have started getting some Trados-related error messages in Word.

Firstly,

"Macro cannot be found or has been disabled"

This was appearing when I opened Word and I was unable to close it. After opening Word in safe mode, I received:

Word Experienced a Serious Problem with multiterm8.dotm

So I clicked Yes to disable it. Now, at least I can open and edit files in Word, but I am left with the problem of what to do with a "broken" multiterm8.dotm macro.

So now When I open Word I get "Macro cannot be found or has been disabled" but I can close it in one or two clicks, but when I Exit word I get a prompt from MS Visual Basic:

"object library contains references to object definitions that couldn't be found"

I should mention this was the first message I got this morning, followed by the macro error.

I had left my PC on standby last night, and when I rebooted this AM, the automatic Windows updater popped up saying it updated something. I checked the log and there were a handful of "important" updates, but I am not savvy enough to know if any of them could've triggered this whole mess

In sum, I am back and semi-functional, but I don't know how to eliminate these error messages. I don't even use Multiterm outside of Studio, so I wouldn't mind nixing the macro altogether if it would stabilize Word.

Any thoughts would be helpful. I finished at 3:30PM and was planning to sneak off for a beer, but this BS has eaten up the rest of my afternoon.
Collapse

Claudia Cherici
Claudia Cherici  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 08:10
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
same here Apr 12, 2012

Hi, I have Studio 2009 but am experiencing exactly the same problem so would be very grateful if anyone knows how to help!

JoelD
JoelD  Identity Verified
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Nuclear Option Apr 12, 2012

Since I never use the toolbars in Word, and since all signs point to corrupted Trados templates (for whoever knows what reason??), I simply went into:

(UserName)>AppData>Roaming>Microsoft>Word>STARTUP

and moved all Trados templates to a separate folder (to which I gave an unmentionable title!!)

Now, Word operates from the standard "Normal" template, without any annoying error messages popping up, and I can translate without any hassle inside the Studio int
... See more
Since I never use the toolbars in Word, and since all signs point to corrupted Trados templates (for whoever knows what reason??), I simply went into:

(UserName)>AppData>Roaming>Microsoft>Word>STARTUP

and moved all Trados templates to a separate folder (to which I gave an unmentionable title!!)

Now, Word operates from the standard "Normal" template, without any annoying error messages popping up, and I can translate without any hassle inside the Studio interface.

But if SDL could respond with a more reasonable solution, I 'm all ears

Joel in Fukuoka
Collapse

Tom Tyson
Tom Tyson  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:10
German to English
Same problem Apr 12, 2012

Hi Joel

I posted virtually the same thing myself just now without noticing that you had done it too an hour or so before me.

I am also suspicious about the Word updates that came through last night, I wonder if Microsoft will come up with anything before SDL does.

My culprit looks like being the MultiTerm 8 macro-enabled template: does it matter where I move it to as long as it's not in the STARTUP file for Word?

564354352 (X)
564354352 (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
Danish to English
+ ...
So relieved... Apr 12, 2012

... to hear it's not just MY problem!

I also installed Office updates this morning, and ever since, I have had the following error message when opening any Word document:

The macro cannot be found or has been disabled because of your Macro settings.

Then, when closing any Word document, the following message:

Object library invalid or contains references to object definitions that could not be found.

Just had an IT consultant look
... See more
... to hear it's not just MY problem!

I also installed Office updates this morning, and ever since, I have had the following error message when opening any Word document:

The macro cannot be found or has been disabled because of your Macro settings.

Then, when closing any Word document, the following message:

Object library invalid or contains references to object definitions that could not be found.

Just had an IT consultant look at this, and he was baffled, but convinced it's a Trados issue.

Very much looking forward to a solution that does not involve disabling Trados toolbars...

P.S. OS = Windows XP; Microsoft Office 2007;
SDL Trados 2007 (2011 also installed) with MultiTerm 2011

[Edited at 2012-04-12 13:09 GMT]
Collapse

Ramesh Bhatt
Ramesh Bhatt  Identity Verified
Nepal
Local time: 11:55
Member (2007)
English to Tibetan
+ ...
I'm awfully frightened not by error messages Apr 12, 2012

Hi Everybody!

You are great for you care to note the error messages that come onto your computer-screen--I never indulge in noting or committing to memory these error messages. I have the foreboding that if I do so, I might lose my mental balance.

These error messages come like rain, and then... what? We lose some time in the process. Incidently, when there is lightening, thunder, etc., here--we lose our routers, batteries break up, and so forth. The we stand up again
... See more
Hi Everybody!

You are great for you care to note the error messages that come onto your computer-screen--I never indulge in noting or committing to memory these error messages. I have the foreboding that if I do so, I might lose my mental balance.

These error messages come like rain, and then... what? We lose some time in the process. Incidently, when there is lightening, thunder, etc., here--we lose our routers, batteries break up, and so forth. The we stand up again proclaiming to ourselves: No we have never been beaten.

Since yesterday, I have been trying Windows 8 Consumer Preview Evaluation Copy in the hope that I might receive my salvation from this software--

but in vain.

One of our main languages, Urdu, is not yet set working on this Windows 8 copy.

And there are so many issues coming up, so many message that some or the other plug-in or some other bizarre thing is gone dysfunctional... that we shall soon have to re-format this computer very soon, and go back to what? The decision-taking is a great problem.

Windows XP was functioning the best, but it doesn't support Tibetan in a particular ilk--Windows 7 does that. Our local internet server has added a new problem to Windows XP usage: Trados 2009 doesn't get installed on Windows XP--it needs downloading some 58 files online, and the process never goes beyond 13 files.

Windows 7 doesn't support Outlook Express--in which we have our all correspondence of previous years, and which is the best system for preserving our emails. It also doesn't support Idiom Worldserver Desktop Workbench, in which we have some jobs to do, if we don't want to give up some of our valued outsources.

There is no salvation meant for us, the sinners of earth, upon land, or in the ocean or in the heaven [if there is, I will grateful to the one that guides me].

We have to live with it all.

Re-format our computers after every three months on an average--that is what we have been doing for the last ten years now. Sadly, however, the frequency seems to be increasing, instead of diminishing.

Today I don't plan to Shut Down my computer--because if I do so, I wonder whether it will start again tomorrow or not--and I have some mails to receive and reply, with reference to the previous communication on this computer.
Collapse

Nelia Fahloun (X)
Nelia Fahloun (X)  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Exact same problem Apr 12, 2012

Hi all,

I have been experiencing the exact same issues since my latest Windows update 2 days ago (which apparently included Office updates).
I use Office 2007 and MultiTerm2009.

I can still manage to use Workbench, but if I happen to click on the "SDL MultiTerm" tab, it blocks out the whole program and I have to use the Task Manager.

Help !!

Nelia

Nathalie Suteau (X)
Nathalie Suteau (X)
United Kingdom
English to French
exact same problem Apr 12, 2012

I have the exact same problems. I installed Studio 2009 last week, went on holiday and discovered this issue this morning after installing various Windows updates.
Let's wait and see then...

Richard Hill
Richard Hill  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 01:10
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
Possible solution Apr 13, 2012

I encountered this problem this morning, which I believe was caused by last night's automatic update as pointed out here by Tom. I found a simple solution that worked for me, which is to delete exd files. Follow the steps found here http://www.lessanvaezi.com/delete-exd-files-to-fix-object-library-invalid-error/

As far as I gather, after delet
... See more
I encountered this problem this morning, which I believe was caused by last night's automatic update as pointed out here by Tom. I found a simple solution that worked for me, which is to delete exd files. Follow the steps found here http://www.lessanvaezi.com/delete-exd-files-to-fix-object-library-invalid-error/

As far as I gather, after deletion, the necessary exd files are recreated upon starting Word again.

Hope it works for you too!
Collapse

JoelD
JoelD  Identity Verified
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Oh Good,I'm not the only one Apr 13, 2012

While I'm glad to know I 'm not the only one, I am sad to hear that so many people are losing productivity over something out of their control.

I may try Rich's solution if I ever decide to use the toolbars again, but for now I think I'm okay (Unless removing Trados toolbars has dire unforeseen consequences that is...)

SDL: Are you out there?

Fernando Domeniconi
Fernando Domeniconi  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:10
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Deleting EXD files... Apr 13, 2012

Deleting EXD files as suggested by rich. resolved the issue for me!

564354352 (X)
564354352 (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
Danish to English
+ ...
Remove MultiTerm toolbar from Word Startup Apr 13, 2012

My IT consultant just removed the MultiTerm toolbar from the Word Startup, and the problem now seems to have been resolved. As I have never accessed MultiTerm via the Word toolbar anyway, this seemed a reasonably 'painfree' solution.

I'm no wizzard at this, but I believe what he did was simply to rename the MultiTerm .dotm file by adding an 'OLD' to the file name.

This is where the file is found in my setup (yours may be different):

C:\Documents and Setting
... See more
My IT consultant just removed the MultiTerm toolbar from the Word Startup, and the problem now seems to have been resolved. As I have never accessed MultiTerm via the Word toolbar anyway, this seemed a reasonably 'painfree' solution.

I'm no wizzard at this, but I believe what he did was simply to rename the MultiTerm .dotm file by adding an 'OLD' to the file name.

This is where the file is found in my setup (yours may be different):

C:\Documents and Settings\Gitte\Application Data\Microsoft\Word\STARTUP

Incidentally, for unknown reasons, I had both a MultiTerm8.dotm and a MultiTerm9.dotm file, and both were just renamed with an 'OLD' added to the file extension (just in case they ever need to be recovered).
Collapse

Nathalie Suteau (X)
Nathalie Suteau (X)
United Kingdom
English to French
Solution from SDL Apr 13, 2012

Please find below the solution I just received from SDL:

1. Please browse to this location

Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\[USERNAME]\Application Data\Microsoft\Word\STARTUP Windows Vista/7: C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Word\STARTUP

2. Please ensure that Word is closed and try deleting MultiTerm templates .
3. Delete the template and please restart Word.

Inga Nellen
Inga Nellen  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
Deleting file from the startup folder (@artfully) Apr 13, 2012

Well, the error message is gone - but so is the MultiTerm plug-in which I sometimes use. Hopefully the programmers come up with a solution where the plug-in (or add-in or whatever) doesn't vanish and Word behaves as it should. And I thought I was the only one having this problem...
At least there is the weekend to look forward to.

Tom Tyson
Tom Tyson  Identity Verified
German to English
File deleted Apr 13, 2012

Well that does seem to have done the trick.

I don't know what part if any of MultiTerm has been lost though.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word Experienced a Serious Problem with multiterm8.dotm (Studio 2011 user)

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »