Studio TMs: how to change en-US_lt-LT INTO en-GB_lt-LT?
Thread poster: Vitals

Vitals  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 20:05
Member (2008)
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
Apr 13, 2012

Dear all,

I am working in the English > Lithuanian pair for this particular project. My project TMs are en-GB. I also have some previous (very helful) TMs, but ... their source language is en-US. Is there a way of changing en-US to en_GB as source language in the TMs?

Would be grateful for your help in this dilemma of the two countries...divided by one language (US / UK).

Yours sincerely,
VS


Direct link
 

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 19:05
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Open the TM Apr 13, 2012

in any text editor (even Notepad, in case the TM isn't too heavy) and edit the languages.

HTH,
N.


Direct link
 

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:05
French to Polish
+ ...
SQLiteBrowser Apr 14, 2012

Natalie wrote:

in any text editor (even Notepad, in case the TM isn't too heavy) and edit the languages.


Well, it's not a good idea to use Notepad, some decent text editor is required.

Download SQLiteBrowser (free of charge), Browse Data tab, translation_memories table, change the language codes accordingly.

Of course, make a backup before you proceed.

Cheers
GG


Direct link
 
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: No reason

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:05
French to Polish
+ ...
Really amazed... Apr 14, 2012

Natalie wrote:

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:
Well, it's not a good idea to use Notepad, some decent text editor is required.

Download SQLiteBrowser ...


Notepad is quite adequate. There is no need to download anything else, really.

No comments.
If one downloads a tool like Notepad++ (just an example...), he'll see the difference in a breeze. Maybe Notepad is enough for most Trados users but it's not suitable at all for professional use.

BTW, I don't understand how you deal with sdltm files with Notepad.
I you are able to handle sdltm files directly with this primitive tool, I really appreciate your skills.
For a typical human, a workaround with SQLiteBrowser is far easier.

Cheers
GG


[Edited at 2012-04-14 17:35 GMT]


Direct link
 

Alexey Ivanov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 21:05
English to Russian
I use Notepad Apr 14, 2012

Export the EN-US memory in txt format and open it in Notepad. Then use S&R replacing the EN-US for EN-GB. After this open your project EN-GB memory and import the edited .txt file. This works for me. But note that due to segmentation rules difference between Trados Workbench and Studio not all the segments may come out after importing the edited .txt file

Direct link
 

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:05
French to Polish
+ ...
The size matters... Apr 14, 2012

Alexey Ivanov wrote:

Export the EN-US memory in txt format and open it in Notepad. Then use S&R replacing the EN-US for EN-GB. After this open your project EN-GB memory and import the edited .txt file. This works for me.

You manage to do it in a decent way for a 500 MB tmx file?

Cheers
GG


Direct link
 

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 19:05
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
--- Apr 14, 2012

1) I assume, that Vitals is aware that any sdltm file can be easily exported to txt format and backwards.

2) In case you would read attentively what has been posted previously, you would notice that my post states that "any text editor (even Notepad, in case the TM isn't too heavy)" can be used.

3) 500MB TMs aren't too frequent. For example my heaviest sdltm having about 300K segments has only 266MB.

4) Nobody is speaking about any "professional use" of Notepad (I, for example, use Ultraedit as a text editor when needed), so absolutely no sensations here. The solution, however, should be always the simpliest possible.

5) Finally, in case Vitals would need any further advice I think he will let us know.


Direct link
 

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:05
French to Polish
+ ...
TXT export from Studio... Apr 15, 2012

Natalie wrote:

1) I assume, that Vitals is aware that any sdltm file can be easily exported to txt format and backwards.

You're wrong.
You should be aware Studio doesn't handle the txt export (only tmx is supported) so one is forced to perform some fastidious steps like Workbench TM creation, tmx import, then export as txt.
As some Studio version (Starter, some student editions) are not shipped with Workbench, the txt scenario should not be proposed as a solution.

Even the TMX export/edition/import is time consuming.
The direct database edition (using SQLiteBrowser, Firefox SQLite plugin, whatever) one is able to do it in less than one minute.

Cheers
GG


Direct link
 

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 19:05
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Yes Apr 15, 2012

Sure - you are the best

Thank you for the great tips.


Direct link
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio TMs: how to change en-US_lt-LT INTO en-GB_lt-LT?

Advanced search







CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search