Studio TMs: how to change en-US_lt-LT INTO en-GB_lt-LT?
Thread poster: Vitals
Vitals
Vitals  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 14:35
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
Apr 13, 2012

Dear all,

I am working in the English > Lithuanian pair for this particular project. My project TMs are en-GB. I also have some previous (very helful) TMs, but ... their source language is en-US. Is there a way of changing en-US to en_GB as source language in the TMs?

Would be grateful for your help in this dilemma of the two countries...divided by one language (US / UK).

Yours sincerely,
VS

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 13:35
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Open the TM Apr 13, 2012

in any text editor (even Notepad, in case the TM isn't too heavy) and edit the languages.

HTH,
N.

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
SQLiteBrowser Apr 14, 2012

Natalie wrote:

in any text editor (even Notepad, in case the TM isn't too heavy) and edit the languages.

Well, it's not a good idea to use Notepad, some decent text editor is required.

Download SQLiteBrowser (free of charge), Browse Data tab, translation_memories table, change the language codes accordingly.

Of course, make a backup before you proceed.

Cheers
GG

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: No reason
Grzegorz Gryc
French to Polish
+ ...
Really amazed... Apr 14, 2012

Natalie wrote:

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:
Well, it's not a good idea to use Notepad, some decent text editor is required.

Download SQLiteBrowser ...

Notepad is quite adequate. There is no need to download anything else, really.

No comments.
If one downloads a tool like Notepad++ (just an example...), he'll see the difference in a breeze. Maybe Notepad is enough for most Trados users but it's not suitable at all for professional use.

BTW, I don't understand how you deal with sdltm files with Notepad.
I you are able to handle sdltm files directly with this primitive tool, I really appreciate your skills.
For a typical human, a workaround with SQLiteBrowser is far easier.

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2012-04-14 17:35 GMT]

Alexey Ivanov
Alexey Ivanov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 14:35
English to Russian
I use Notepad Apr 14, 2012

Export the EN-US memory in txt format and open it in Notepad. Then use S&R replacing the EN-US for EN-GB. After this open your project EN-GB memory and import the edited .txt file. This works for me. But note that due to segmentation rules difference between Trados Workbench and Studio not all the segments may come out after importing the edited .txt file

Grzegorz Gryc
French to Polish
+ ...
The size matters... Apr 14, 2012

Alexey Ivanov wrote:

Export the EN-US memory in txt format and open it in Notepad. Then use S&R replacing the EN-US for EN-GB. After this open your project EN-GB memory and import the edited .txt file. This works for me.

You manage to do it in a decent way for a 500 MB tmx file?

Cheers
GG

Natalie
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
--- Apr 14, 2012

1) I assume, that Vitals is aware that any sdltm file can be easily exported to txt format and backwards.

2) In case you would read attentively what has been posted previously, you would notice that my post states that "any text editor (even Notepad, in case the TM isn't too heavy)" can be used.

3) 500MB TMs aren't too frequent. For example my heaviest sdltm having about 300K segments has only 266MB.

4) Nobody is speaking about any "professional use" of Not
... See more
1) I assume, that Vitals is aware that any sdltm file can be easily exported to txt format and backwards.

2) In case you would read attentively what has been posted previously, you would notice that my post states that "any text editor (even Notepad, in case the TM isn't too heavy)" can be used.

3) 500MB TMs aren't too frequent. For example my heaviest sdltm having about 300K segments has only 266MB.

4) Nobody is speaking about any "professional use" of Notepad (I, for example, use Ultraedit as a text editor when needed), so absolutely no sensations here. The solution, however, should be always the simpliest possible.

5) Finally, in case Vitals would need any further advice I think he will let us know.
Collapse

Grzegorz Gryc
French to Polish
+ ...
TXT export from Studio... Apr 15, 2012

Natalie wrote:

You're wrong.
You should be aware Studio doesn't handle the txt export (only tmx is supported) so one is forced to perform some fastidious steps like Workbench TM creation, tmx import, then export as txt.
As some Studio version (Starter, some student editions) are not shipped with Workbench, the txt scenario should not be proposed as a solution.

Even the TMX export/edition/import is time consuming.
The direct database edition (using SQLiteBrowser, Firefox SQLite plugin, whatever) one is able to do it in less than one minute.

Cheers
GG

Natalie
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Yes Apr 15, 2012

Sure - you are the best

Thank you for the great tips.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio TMs: how to change en-US_lt-LT INTO en-GB_lt-LT?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »