https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/222817-error_failed_to_save_target_content_placeholder_was_moved.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Error: Failed to save target content: Placeholder was moved.
Thread poster: Joanna Wachowiak-Finlaison
Joanna Wachowiak-Finlaison
United States
Local time: 15:42
English to Polish
+ ...
Apr 16, 2012

I have just translated a fairly large bilingual workbench file in Studio 2011 and when I'm trying to do "Save target as" this is the error I'm getting (Failed to save content: Placeholder was moved. Please run Tag Verification to see more details). After running the verification, no tag errors are being reported, yet the message comes up again. As far as I can see, all the tags are where they should be.

The "Translated" statistics on the bottom is showing 104.38% (while that makes m
... See more
I have just translated a fairly large bilingual workbench file in Studio 2011 and when I'm trying to do "Save target as" this is the error I'm getting (Failed to save content: Placeholder was moved. Please run Tag Verification to see more details). After running the verification, no tag errors are being reported, yet the message comes up again. As far as I can see, all the tags are where they should be.

The "Translated" statistics on the bottom is showing 104.38% (while that makes me feel good about my 'over 100% efficiency', it is, obviously, an indication of an error).

The file was pre-translated by the agency and before starting to work on it, I made sure "Save target as" is working properly.

Help?

Studio 2011, SP1, 10.1.2878.3
Windows 7

[Edited at 2012-04-16 02:36 GMT]
Collapse

Luca Tutino
Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
Identical problems on Trados 2009 since last week-end May 14, 2012

I am also getting the same error message and wrong percentage on my Trados 2009.

This is a new strange behavior which I never had before and, if I am not wrong, it happened consistently with sdlxliff files derived from ttx, mif and docx files.

The last was a short docx with absolutely no visible tags in it. The only difference is that it refers to a missing tag bookmarkstart if="0" name="_GoBack/" in segment 17 (which is the last segment.) But tag verification
... See more
I am also getting the same error message and wrong percentage on my Trados 2009.

This is a new strange behavior which I never had before and, if I am not wrong, it happened consistently with sdlxliff files derived from ttx, mif and docx files.

The last was a short docx with absolutely no visible tags in it. The only difference is that it refers to a missing tag bookmarkstart if="0" name="_GoBack/" in segment 17 (which is the last segment.) But tag verification is still finding a missing tag in the last line.

The same error keep appearing even if I copy the all original text in the target column (with alt +ins) and confirm each TU in this way!

[Modificato alle 2012-05-14 14:49 GMT]
Collapse

Björn Rohe
Björn Rohe
Germany
Local time: 22:42
English to German
+ ...
Same here May 17, 2012

I'm having the same problem as Joanna, with a pretranslated file. All tags in place, no tag errors.
I'm goin' nuts..

Anyone out there with a solution?

United States
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No luck May 17, 2012

I have to disappoint you, I haven't found a solution to the problem. Jerzy Czopik very kindly had a look at it and even he could not figure it out. Ended up manually copy/pasting the translation into the file opened in word. All one hundred and seventy pages of it. Talk about repetitive stress injury on my wrist... Has not happened with any other file yet though. /fingerscrossed

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Splitting files... May 17, 2012

Joanna Wachowiak-Finlaison wrote:

I have to disappoint you, I haven't found a solution to the problem. Jerzy Czopik very kindly had a look at it and even he could not figure it out. Ended up manually copy/pasting the translation into the file opened in word. All one hundred and seventy pages of it. Talk about repetitive stress injury on my wrist... Has not happened with any other file yet though.

It's not regular but it happens, mainly for large complex files, and the Trados error messages are completely useless.

If you want ot isolate the problem, split the file in two.
Pretranslate.
If the export of one of the parts fails, split it in two.
Pretranslate.
Etc.
When you think it's enough, just stop.
You'll have less segments to copy and paste.

Cheers
GG

lydiar
lydiar  Identity Verified
New Zealand
Local time: 08:42
French to English
me too May 17, 2012

I'm glad I'm not alone in having this error, I resorted to manually copying and pasting translation for delivery last night.

I now have the 2nd half of the same doc to do today - fun!

Does anyone know if this is a known bug or if it can be raised with SDL... I have browsed around the KB and 'My Support' area but all paths lead back to the KB and a search, which doesn't really help me!

Cheers

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
If you can send me the files... May 17, 2012

... I'll happily take a look. So send me the original source file and the translated SDLXLIFF.

Regards

Paul
[email protected]

Joanna Kłębicka
Joanna Kłębicka  Identity Verified
Poland
Polish to Spanish
+ ...
the same problem :( May 24, 2012

Hi All,

I am new to Trados. Have translated a Framemaker file (11994 words) and it just told me that the software is unable to save the file.
Precisely:
"Tag początkowy 'para' w wierszu 1 nie pasuje do tagu końcowego cf. Wiersz 1 pozycja 5042.

I don't have that many lines in my file. It's 1523 lines long. The percentage count is ok. Is there any way to save this file if I have no Framemaker to even split the file?

United States
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
And it happened again Nov 19, 2012

With a very similar file. I wonder if there is something wrong in one of the TM segments that get automatically seeded...

marinaspa
marinaspa  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Greek
+ ...
Having the same problem Nov 28, 2012

Hi all,

I'm having the same problem with a 25,000 word document and I'm freaking out! I pretranslated it in Workbench and then imported it to Studio 2011. In the beginning it was working (I tested it) and many thousands of words later I tried to save target and this message comes up.

I know it's been discussed already but I was wondering if any of you has come up with another solution by now (except for manually pasting the translation!).

Does splitting fi
... See more
Hi all,

I'm having the same problem with a 25,000 word document and I'm freaking out! I pretranslated it in Workbench and then imported it to Studio 2011. In the beginning it was working (I tested it) and many thousands of words later I tried to save target and this message comes up.

I know it's been discussed already but I was wondering if any of you has come up with another solution by now (except for manually pasting the translation!).

Does splitting files really work? Also, if all else fails, can I convert the studio memory to a 2007 tm and just translate the doc in workbench?

Thanks a lot for your help
Collapse

Elina R-K
Elina R-K  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 23:42
English to Finnish
+ ...
Had the same problem and got help from SDL support Dec 14, 2012

Hi all,

I had the same problem yesterday with a 57-page file I had pretranslated with Trados 2007 and then translated with Studio 2011. The only difference to Joanna's case is that my percentages were correct all the time.

It's true that in many cases, the Trados error messages are useless, but this time it seems that the problem was with tags after all. I sent the file to SDL support and here is the reply I received:

"I have received your file and by look
... See more
Hi all,

I had the same problem yesterday with a 57-page file I had pretranslated with Trados 2007 and then translated with Studio 2011. The only difference to Joanna's case is that my percentages were correct all the time.

It's true that in many cases, the Trados error messages are useless, but this time it seems that the problem was with tags after all. I sent the file to SDL support and here is the reply I received:

"I have received your file and by looking at the bilingual, I noticed that at segment 69 there are some extra tags added in the target segment. Once I removed these tags from the target segment, I was able to Save Target As error free."

I have no idea where those extra tags came from, but I would say that going through all the 1658 segments of the file and checking them for extra tags is still less trouble than copy-pasting the entire text, segment by segment, to a new document. My initial workaround was to re-translate the text in TagEditor, but as even that involved quite a lot of tweaks to tags, I hadn't even finished when the reply from SDL support arrived.

Regards
Elina R-K
Collapse

pmakinen
pmakinen  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:42
Member (2005)
Croatian to English
+ ...
Same problem with "placeholder moved" Apr 29, 2013

SDL Support wrote:

... I'll happily take a look. So send me the original source file and the translated SDLXLIFF.

Regards

Paul
[email protected]

I just had this happen with a small translation that I can fortunately cut and paste segment by segment, but that would be a real problem for a huge, enormous document. Ctrl+Shift+H does not show *any tags* out of place. I realize the XML standard requires XML-based software to stop processing when a document seems inconsistent, but your literal interpretation of that standard to prevent the user from ever seeing an exported document feels a bit extreme to me....

I'm very unhappy at the moment, and will probably discontinue using Trados until I can be assured that I will not lose my work.

**Edited to correct error message in subject line.**

[Edited at 2013-04-29 21:57 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-04-29 22:00 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-04-29 22:23 GMT]

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Perhaps you can share... Apr 29, 2013

... the file anyway and we can see where the problem lies. It's not always a bug even if posts into the forums make it sound this way.

So if you can share the sdlxliff file I'll gladly take a look and see where the problem is coming from?

Regards

Paul

pmakinen
pmakinen  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:42
Member (2005)
Croatian to English
+ ...
NDA Apr 29, 2013

Paul said:
=====

Perhaps you can share... the file anyway and we can see where the problem lies. It's not always a bug even if posts into the forums make it sound this way.

So if you can share the sdlxliff file I'll gladly take a look and see where the problem is coming from?

=======

Sorry, I can't do that; as you might expect, the file is under NDA.

[Edited at 2013-04-29 23:01 GMT]

Oleg Petorvich Sergeev
Oleg Petorvich Sergeev
United States
English to Russian
+ ...
May be some solution Jun 17, 2013

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is the best solution, but it worked in my case. I had two small files and the same problem at the end. My files were in bilingual word format. I closed the project and opened each original bilingual file again as document File - Open - Document. Then I applied the TM that I used for translation. And bingo! It worked. I saved files in the original format.

Good luck!

Oleg

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Error: Failed to save target content: Placeholder was moved.

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »