Segmentation and German Ordinal Numbers
Thread poster: farolingo

farolingo
Local time: 13:08
German to English
+ ...
Apr 16, 2012

Ok, I think I'm going crazy here. After several years of dealing with the problem manually, I've decided to finally try and get to grips with the segmentation rules page in Workbench...

Say I have a sentence in German that starts with a date, for example 29. September, 2012... With the default segmentation rules in Trados, when I open the segment, Trados ignores the '29.' bit and opens the sentence at 'September, 2012...' That means I have to MANUALLY localize all those ordinal followers!!

With find and replace, it's not a huge problem, but it's still annoying. The Workbench documentation is pretty vague when it comes to Segmentation Rules to say the least... i.e. 'Create a User List', 'Click the Ordinal Followers tab...' It doesn't say what else the user needs to do. I've tried just about every single possible combination under the 'End Rules' and 'Skip Rules', but I still can't make my damn Workbench (2007) to open a date correctly...

Please somebody, help! I can't believe this hasn't been an issue for other users over the years, and yet I can't find any decent posts on the topic in the forums...

Thanks in advance.

Direct link Reply with quote

István Hirsch  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:08
English to Hungarian
In Workbench... Apr 16, 2012

...go to File/Setup/Segmentation Rules, click on User Lists, then Ordinal Followers, then Help. At the end of this Help file, under ’See also:’, you can find the reference ’About Ordinal Follower Lists’, which deals with the segmentation problems related with German dates and provides the solution too (I have not tried yet).

farolingo
Local time: 13:08
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Segmentation rules and German ordinal numbers Apr 16, 2012

Hi István,

Thanks for the hint. Unfortunately that help note is about as helpful as the rest of the instructions:

"Assuming that you have changed the segmentation rules for numbers preceding full stops (.), Translator's Workbench will not be able to segment the text correctly."

It's just gibberish quite frankly: "Assuming that you have changed the segmentation rules for numbers preceding full stops" – to what exactly??

I've created an extensive list of Ordinal Follower nouns, and changed the Full Stop stop rule as many times as I care to bother. However, I still can't make Trados recognize a German ordinal number....

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Segmentation and German Ordinal Numbers

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search