Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 18:40
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Apr 17, 2012

G'day everyone

There are many ways in which one can share files with Idiom, it seems. I usually export (and import) either XLZ or WPZ files. However, a reviewer who had updated my work just sent it to me in WSPRJ format. I know that this is an Idiom file, but how do I import or open this file?

When I receive WPZ or XLZ files from the client, I always "save" my work by exporting it to WPZ when I stop translating for the day. The next day, I open the exported WPZ file again (which gives me that overwriting warning, and I always confirm to overwrite). I understand that there are people who do not save their work in WPZ format but instead rely on the autosave feature to keep their work. I have no idea how such people manage to merge files that they receive from reviewers or translators... but if they're happy, then I'm happy.

All I need now is to get the translation from the WSPRJ file into Idiom so that I can check it and export it as XLZ again.

Thanks
Samuel

Direct link Reply with quote

lbone  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 01:40
English to Chinese
+ ...
Saved automatically Jun 8, 2012

Samuel Murray wrote:

G'day everyone

There are many ways in which one can share files with Idiom, it seems. I usually export (and import) either XLZ or WPZ files. However, a reviewer who had updated my work just sent it to me in WSPRJ format. I know that this is an Idiom file, but how do I import or open this file?

When I receive WPZ or XLZ files from the client, I always "save" my work by exporting it to WPZ when I stop translating for the day. The next day, I open the exported WPZ file again (which gives me that overwriting warning, and I always confirm to overwrite). I understand that there are people who do not save their work in WPZ format but instead rely on the autosave feature to keep their work. I have no idea how such people manage to merge files that they receive from reviewers or translators... but if they're happy, then I'm happy.

All I need now is to get the translation from the WSPRJ file into Idiom so that I can check it and export it as XLZ again.

Thanks
Samuel

The version I use saves changes to each entry automatically after I move to another entry. So you do not need to save or export your work each time at the end of the day. I guess an entry is called a "segment" in idiom.

It's annoying that in idiom, a newly opened version of the same project will always overwrite the previous version, though with a prompt, whether this newly opened version is actually newer or not. So I sometimes keep a main working version in one OS and open reference versions that are not that important in a separate OS (in virtual machine).

It seems WPZ can save all your changes with current settings. If you want to safely save all your current work without being flushed by the package from the PM, you can export your work to WPZ before opening a new WSPRJ package.

Merge does not seem to be the work of a translator.

This is what I know. Maybe other colleagues have better solutions.

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Importing a WSPRJ file

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search