how to save unclean xliff files as unclean word docs.
Thread poster: Dr Juliet Attwater

Dr Juliet Attwater
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:34
Member (2010)
Portuguese to English
Apr 17, 2012

Hi, I'm working for a client who wants the unclean xliff files sent to him as a word doc. I have no problem saving the clean translation in this format, but can't seem to find how to do it with the unclean file. I have been using Trados Studio 2009, but will shortly be upgrading to 2011.Any help would be greatly appreciated - even if it's just to tell me I'm trying to do something impossible!Thank you

Direct link Reply with quote

Silvia D'Amico  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:34
English to Italian
+ ...
I am no expert but Apr 17, 2012

I think unless you have a bilingual word file to begin with (already segmented), there is no way for Studio to produce a bilingual Word file. You could however, click Save As and it will generate a Word file with a table: on one side there will be the source language and on the other the target language.

I hope it helps..

Dr Juliet Attwater
United Kingdom
Member (2010)
Portuguese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Apr 17, 2012

The problem though seems to be that when I click "save as" I cannot save it as a doc file, only as an xliff file! I'm sure I must be missing something here...

Miguel Carmona  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:34
English to Spanish
SDLXLIFF to Legacy Converter Apr 17, 2012

Dr. Juliet Attwater wrote:

Hi, I'm working for a client who wants the unclean xliff files sent to him as a word doc. I have no problem saving the clean translation in this format, but can't seem to find how to do it with the unclean file. I have been using Trados Studio 2009, but will shortly be upgrading to 2011.Any help would be greatly appreciated - even if it's just to tell me I'm trying to do something impossible!Thank you

You can do it easily by means of the Open Exchange application called SDLXLIFF to Legacy Converter, which is free.

You can find it here:
http://www.sdl.com/en/language-technology/sdl-openexchange/AppDetails.aspx?appid=194

Good luck!

[Edited at 2012-04-17 14:56 GMT]

Dr Juliet Attwater
United Kingdom
Member (2010)
Portuguese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Miguel! Apr 17, 2012

I'll just have to get on with upgrading my trados then

Miguel Carmona  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:34
English to Spanish
Another option: SDLXLIFF Converter for MS Office Apr 17, 2012

Hi Dr. Attwater,

Another option is the SDLXLIFF Converter for MS Office Open Exchange application, which allows you to put the SDLXLIFF file in a table format with the source text and the target text of every segment, either side by side, or top-bottom, according to how you set up the conversion operation.

Here is the link for the SDLXLIFF Converter for MS Office:
http://www.sdl.com/en/language-technology/sdl-openexchange/AppDetails.aspx?appid=2

Please note that both Open Exchange applications are compatible with Studio 2009 (I did not provide the correct information in my original posting, so I edited it).

Good luck!

[Edited at 2012-04-17 17:14 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

how to save unclean xliff files as unclean word docs.

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search