Trados Studio 2009 - Translation not saved
Thread poster: Annett Hieber

Annett Hieber  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:27
English to German
Apr 18, 2012

I've been working with Studio 2009 more frequently over the last weeks and have encountered the following problem when saving the last two translations: the translation was not saved in the target document. Thus, when I sent it to the client, they complained, of course. I did the translation the normal way, confirmed all segments, saved the document, then saved it under "save target as".

Can anyone imagine what the reason might be? Anything I obviously did wrong?

It's very annoying, particularly, when the translation is needed urgently.

Thanks for any advice on this matter!

Annett

Direct link Reply with quote

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Which file are you sending? Apr 18, 2012

I know it sounds a bit ridiculous, but do you know that you save your target file in a target file folder (automatically created by Studio)? Did you open the target file to have a quick look at it before you sent it off to your client? Was the one you opened in your target or source language?

To produce a target file you don't actually even have to confirm the segments. Confirming the segments sends them to the TM, not to the target file. Saving the sdlxliff bilingual file (ctrl+S) is all Studio needs to produce the target file, which you get by clicking on ctrl+F12 (or "save target as", as you say).

Maybe this clarifies things a bit?

Germany
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Hm? Apr 18, 2012

Of course you are right with the confirmed segments.

When I save the file I can browse to the folder where I want to have it saved (or not?). Then I'm sending this file. But, I haven't checked, if this file is the correctly translated file before sending, that's true. I already have decided to do that in future!

But this could be the solution. Where does Trados save the file? Where can I find it?

Thanks for your help so far, Emma.

Annett

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
file location Apr 18, 2012

Well, yes, you can browse to any location you like in order to save the target file, but I would recommend following Studio's folder structure (especially if you are fairly new to the program).

The target language folder will be in the project you created for your job (or if you used "open document" then it will be where the original file is). If you don't know where you chose to locate the project, then go to project>files (bottom left-hand corner) and make sure you are in the target language (check the left-hand column flag). Now right click on the file you are translating and select "Explore containing folder".

HTH

Germany
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
I will surely Apr 18, 2012

try that, Emma. Thank you for helping.

Annett

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Studio 2009 - Translation not saved

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search