Mehdi Golestaninasab
Mehdi Golestaninasab
Iran
Local time: 16:50
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
Apr 20, 2012

Hello all
I have an already translated file. an excel file include column A as source and column B as translated text.
Now I want to translate a file in Trados which is similar to this one in Trados, and I want to use previous repeated text from that excel in Trados.
Do you have any suggestion how can I do this?
Best

Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 15:20
German to Swedish
+ ...
Create a TMX memory Apr 20, 2012

Create a TMX memory and import it.

Since TMX is a text-based XML format, this can actually be done in Excel (with xml tags in separate rows/columns). The minimal file would look like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE tmx SYSTEM "tmx13.dtd">
<tmx version="1.3">
<header version="1.3"></header>
<body>
<tu><tuv xml:lang="EN"><seg> ... your English data here... </seg&g
... See more
Create a TMX memory and import it.

Since TMX is a text-based XML format, this can actually be done in Excel (with xml tags in separate rows/columns). The minimal file would look like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE tmx SYSTEM "tmx13.dtd">
<tmx version="1.3">
<header version="1.3"></header>
<body>
<tu><tuv xml:lang="EN"><seg> ... your English data here... </seg></tuv><tuv xml:lang="DE"><seg> ... your German data here... </seg></tuv></tu>
</body>
</tmx>
Collapse

Marina Soldati
Marina Soldati  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 10:20
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Simple solution Apr 20, 2012

Hi!

Read tectranslate solution within the Excel file in this thread.

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/59306-creating_tm_by_aligning_excel_rows.html

Nope this helps

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:20
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Once more Apr 21, 2012

I've posted these infos about a dozen times, I'm afraid this will be the last. It would be great if people used Google instead of making new threads that will inevitably contain incomplete or incorrect information as people get bored with answering the same question again and again every two weeks. ("excel translation memory site:proz.com" should do it)

1) Generating an unclean Word file is not a very good solution (see below), but if you're going to recommend it, at least don't rec
... See more
I've posted these infos about a dozen times, I'm afraid this will be the last. It would be great if people used Google instead of making new threads that will inevitably contain incomplete or incorrect information as people get bored with answering the same question again and again every two weeks. ("excel translation memory site:proz.com" should do it)

1) Generating an unclean Word file is not a very good solution (see below), but if you're going to recommend it, at least don't recommend CONCATENATE. It is localization-dependent, i.e. the command is different in German (French, Polish) versions of Excel.
This simple formula works in all Excel versions:
="{0 > "&a1&" < }100{ > "&b1&" < 0}"

2) Instead of creating a bilingual word file, which will only work in a limited number of CATs, just generate a TMX, which is more versatile and holds metadata (creation time, creator name, name of source document etc.)
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Using already translated excel file in Trados

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »