Copy the name of the file being edited [in Studio 2011]?
Thread poster: Artem Vakhitov

Artem Vakhitov  Identity Verified
Estonia
English to Russian
+ ...
Apr 21, 2012

To inform my PM or customer about some problems or observations related to a file in the project, I need to tell him/her the name of that file. But I cannot seem to find a way to copy the file name to clipboard; currently I have to memorize it, then find the file in the source folder (which could be frustrating with files that have very long hexadecimal strings as names), click it, and additionally select the file extension before I finally can copy the name. Is there a easier way to do it?

Direct link Reply with quote

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 02:17
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
This problem has nothing to do with Studio Apr 21, 2012

Just open the Windows Explorer (or any other file manager that you probably use) and copy the filename from there.

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
From Studio... Apr 21, 2012

Natalia is quite right, and if you want to do this from Studio, go to the Project view, then to files, right click on the file name you want to copy and click "explore containing folder".

Alternatively, if you are in the Editor window of Studio, click "save target as" (or shift+F12) and copy the file name from there. You could also click "save source as" to get the file name.

Estonia
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the suggestions Apr 21, 2012

Natalie, this has everything to do with Studio. I have already explained why it can be difficult to find the file even though I can indeed open the folder where it resides in Explorer: imagine you have hundreds of files with names that are very long, very similar, and meaningless (basically hexadecimal strings). It just seems illogical that I can select the file in "Files" view and see the "File details" but not copy them, especially file name. The "Explore containing folder" option opens Explorer but does not set selection to the file in question.

Emma, your last suggestion seems to be the most convenient way to do it currently.

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Still Apr 22, 2012

the problem itself has nothing to do with Studio: the problem is with your project and the fileset it includes.

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
No it isn't Apr 22, 2012

Artem Vakhitov wrote:

It just seems illogical that I can select the file in "Files" view and see the "File details" but not copy them, especially file name. The "Explore containing folder" option opens Explorer but does not set selection to the file in question.

It isn't illogical, it's just not a problem Trados can be expected to solve for you. I know how annoying this situation can be, but it's really not a feature you can demand from a CAT.

If I were you, I would just copy a list of all the filenames to the clipboard (it takes a couple of clicks in Total Commander), save it in a txt or xls and write comments there under the filenames as needed. It should be pretty easy to generate a list in the same order that Studio processes your files, so you can always find the file easily.

Estonia
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Cannot agree with that approach Apr 23, 2012

While in practice I'm satisfied with the suggested workaround using Save As (though it's not obvious for all), I cannot agree with the approach you Natalie and FarkasAndras seem to take.

Computer Aided Translation software should do everything possible to aid the translator in his/her work considering the diverse tasks and conditions one can encounter. In the scenario I'm talking about, just a change of the GUI control used for file name, setting the relevant property of that control, or simply setting the selection in Explorer to the file when using "Explore containing folder" (which other programs such as Firefox routinely do though they too probably "cannot be expected" to do that) would take all annoyance out of the situation, in addition to being much more discoverable and obvious than the Save As trick.

Moreover, getting a list of all the filenames was not a problem: the problem was to actually *find* the relevant file among them in that situation, which neither Total Commander nor any other file manager can help with.

[Edited at 2012-04-23 10:58 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Copy the name of the file being edited [in Studio 2011]?

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search