Recovery of files deleted within Trados studio 2011
Thread poster: RISBOM
RISBOM
Local time: 11:46
English to Croatian
Apr 21, 2012

Hi,
I am new to Trados, so I am still learning the tool. Today I deleted my document files (source and target) from Studio 2011, because I wanted to create a new files from updated version of source language word document. Problem is that previously I didn't update my translation memory from this file, so my translation is lost.
First thing, I was looking for my files in Windows7 recycle been to recover them, but they were not there!
Is there any way to restore files deleted from Trados studio 2011? Is there any automatic backup? Why are deleted files not in windows recycle been?

In these case, damage is not so big - I translated just a few segments.

I am using SDL Trados Studio 2011 Freelance, SP1 10.1.2878.3

Regards, Risbom

Direct link Reply with quote

Henning Holthusen  Identity Verified
Philippines
Local time: 18:46
English to German
+ ...
No autosave Apr 22, 2012

Trados Studio doesn't seem to have any backup or even any auto save function.
The lack of the latter is particularly maddening and inexplicable.

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Deleted file warning Apr 22, 2012

You're right. I have made the same mistake as you in the past.

If you delete files from a project in Studio, they will not be sent to your recycle bin. When Studio was first released there wasn't even a warning message when you clicked "delete files". However, now you get a clear warning message:

"This will permanently delete the file(s) from disk. This action cannot be undone."

You should, however, be confirming each segment as you translate so that they get sent to your TM. If you don't, you won't get matches within your file as you go. Maybe you have created a project TM and you'll find your lost segments there?

And, yes, autosave would be a useful feature too.

RISBOM
English to Croatian
TOPIC STARTER
Project TM Apr 22, 2012

Well, I didn't use project TM. But anyway, I like to work on more than one project at same time, and with project TMs their content would not be shared among projects so easily. Are there any recommendations about using local project TM's?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Recovery of files deleted within Trados studio 2011

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search