Is it possible to filter on strings by selecting it in Trados Studio 2011?
Thread poster: pjg111

pjg111  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:04
Member (2010)
English to French
Apr 24, 2012

Hi everybody,

In Trados Studio 2011 File Editor, is it possible to filter on a string just by selecting it i/o copying it and pasting it into the filter box at the top of the window?

Many thanks in advance for your answers.

Cheers.

PG

Direct link Reply with quote

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
why not try it and see? Apr 24, 2012

Hi,

This is exactly what the filter is for. Have a go, using text, numbers or regular expressions and see what happens. You won't break it...

Regards

Paul

Member (2010)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Sorry, but this is not a filter on selection Apr 28, 2012

SDL Support wrote:

Hi,

This is exactly what the filter is for. Have a go, using text, numbers or regular expressions and see what happens. You won't break it...

Regards

Paul

Thanks for the advice but it's not relevant. Plse refer to my topic's subject. You cannot filter on selection in Trados Studio 2011. You have to first copy the string to filter on, next go to Filter, next make sure you are within the desired scope (In Source or In Target), next Paste the copied string in the Filter box, then hit Enter.

Cheers.

PG

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
I'm sorry... Apr 29, 2012

pjg111 wrote:

SDL Support wrote:

Hi,

Regards

Paul

Thanks for the advice but it's not relevant. Plse refer to my topic's subject. You cannot filter on selection in Trados Studio 2011. You have to first copy the string to filter on, next go to Filter, next make sure you are within the desired scope (In Source or In Target), next Paste the copied string in the Filter box, then hit Enter.

Cheers.

PG

... but I can't fail to notice that you are being quite rude to a person who's trying to help you.
Let me add to the information given by Paul: filtering is not implemented as "filter on selection", because "filter on selection" wouldn't be a reasonable feature to introduce in any software. For filtering to work well, you need to be able to use regular expressions, toggle case-sensitivity and edit the search string or enter it from scratch. "Filter on selection" wouldn't allow you to do any of these basic things.
In summary: until such time as you start writing you own software, you'll have to put up with copy-pasting.

[Edited at 2012-04-29 14:02 GMT]

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
I would like to remind everybody Apr 29, 2012

that it is necessary to be polite during discussion.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
What's the usecase for this? Apr 29, 2012

pjg111 wrote:

Thanks for the advice but it's not relevant. Plse refer to my topic's subject.

ok - I see what you mean now. I didn't spot the meaning of i/o until now. András is right though... I'm not sure I see the value of filtering by selection unless you wanted to find duplicates? In this case you could use the duplicate option on the display filter which I guess you have seen.

So what is the usecase for wanting this? Perhaps there is another way to resolve what you are trying to do?

Regards

Paul

Member (2010)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Usefulness of filter on selection May 5, 2012

SDL Support wrote:

pjg111 wrote:

Thanks for the advice but it's not relevant. Plse refer to my topic's subject.

ok - I see what you mean now. I didn't spot the meaning of i/o until now. András is right though... I'm not sure I see the value of filtering by selection unless you wanted to find duplicates? In this case you could use the duplicate option on the display filter which I guess you have seen.

So what is the usecase for wanting this? Perhaps there is another way to resolve what you are trying to do?

Regards

Paul

Dear Paul,

Filtering by selection may be a matter of productivity. It is implemented in other CAT tools and helps translators to quickly display only those segments containing the selected string (moreover by being able to distinguis whether the selected string is in the Source column or the Target column).

Apparently, it is not implemented in Trados Studio 2011. I'm not sure this forum is the right place for making suggestions and Trados Studio 2011 support team are reading it, so I'm open to any clue for where to make such a suggestion for any further releases of the product.

Thanks anyway for your answer.

Cheers.

PG

[Edited at 2012-05-05 14:12 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it possible to filter on strings by selecting it in Trados Studio 2011?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search