Thread poster: Enrico C - ECLC

Enrico C - ECLC  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 01:20
Member (2011)
English to Italian
+ ...
Apr 25, 2012

Recently i have found myself translating one job made of several small files that gave me the unique chance to experience the peak of inefficiency this software is subject to.

A) Customer sends me a TTX file asking for both clean and unclean. Studio is unable to create clean files from a TTX, so that required me to reprocess the file on TagEditor (Wondering why do we need Studio since we can work straight on TagEditor saving time).
B) I open the file and realize some of the segments are badly segmented and unsplittable. Every segment is made of 100/200 words and many tags. I can't split or modify the source as Studio doesn't allow me to and have no time to, again go to TagEditor to reprocess something that has been started on Studio, so i proceed with translating the two huge segments (one 150 words, and another over 200 words + tagging). At the moment of updating the TM Studio generates the message "Failed to update the translation unit (The tag count limit has been exceeded by at least one segment in the TU). I get no other infos. No tracking of the "exceeding tag", no help whasoever! Not even a sort of analysis tool allowing me to know if that segment is translated properly or if the end customer will "see" it right or with strange formatting. I have no control over my CAT.
C) So no chances to amend the source, Studio has a tag limit i wasn't aware of (And what is that for? What happens if a job comes with plenty tagging?), and i don't even have a chance to split segments, not to mention the fact i can't provide clean file to customers who keep complaining and begging me to use Workbench 2007 since often Studio VS Trados 2007 conversion of TTX doesn't allow for uncleaned files to be cleaned, which requires, again, reprocessing the file with TagEditor or Workbench.

Did anyone have the same issues? I must admit i am slightly fed up!

[Edited at 2012-04-25 11:40 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 19:20
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
You should not expect too much Apr 25, 2012

If you have been tinkering with the ttx the risk that something goes wrong tagwise is great. You should ask the customer to re-process the original file, probably it was badly formatted. No software can make gold out of dirt.
I don't have much experience with Studio. I like to work with Wordfast Classic, where I can reformat the text on the go. No other tool is so flexible.

Lorenzo Cordini
Local time: 18:20
English
You can save target in the original file format Apr 25, 2012

Hi Claudio,

What is the import format of these files?
From your description it sounds like the client created those TTX files from XML documents without bothering to specify tags settings (using an "ini" file).

When you work on TTX files in Studio it is also possible to save target either as TTX or in the original file format.

As for handling TTX files in Studio you may want to have a look at the Studio Compatibility guide which should be available as PDF from the SDL site.

Regards,

Lorenzo

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Look closer Apr 25, 2012

Enrico Cau wrote:

Recently i have found myself translating one job made of several small files that gave me the unique chance to experience the peak of inefficiency this software is subject to.

A) Customer sends me a TTX file asking for both clean and unclean. Studio is unable to create clean files from a TTX, so that required me to reprocess the file on TagEditor (Wondering why do we need Studio since we can work straight on TagEditor saving time).

That's not true. Studio can generate both bilingual ttx files and clean target files (.doc, .ppt etc.) from ttx.sdlxliff files.

Taiwan
Member (2011)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not true Apr 25, 2012

Lorenzo Cordini wrote:

Hi Claudio,

What is the import format of these files?
From your description it sounds like the client created those TTX files from XML documents without bothering to specify tags settings (using an "ini" file).

When you work on TTX files in Studio it is also possible to save target either as TTX or in the original file format.

As for handling TTX files in Studio you may want to have a look at the Studio Compatibility guide which should be available as PDF from the SDL site.

Regards,

Lorenzo

Hi Lorenzo,

Unless i am missing something that doesn't correspond to what i see. If the customer sends me a TTX and i click on SAVE TARGET what i get is a bilingual TTX. If i choose the option "SAVE IN THE ORIGINAL FORMAT" i get an error message. This happened with Studio 2009 and it happens now with Studio 2011. To save a TTX in clean format i need the native file (Trados Studio expressly requests that), in lack of which you get an error message.

On the other hand, if i get a native file (Doc, docx, ppt. xml, pdf, etc) i can save it in clean format.

Am i missing something?

Taiwan
Member (2011)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not true Apr 25, 2012

FarkasAndras wrote:

Enrico Cau wrote:

That's not true. Studio can generate both bilingual ttx files and clean target files (.doc, .ppt etc.) from ttx.sdlxliff files.

Hi FarkasAndras,

As far as i know it doesn't allow me to get a clean file from a TTX. It doesn't allow me from "FILE-SAVE TARGET AS...." and it doesn't allow me from "PROJECT-BATCH TASK-COPY TO TARGET LANGUAGES". All what i get is a bilingual TTX.

Any suggestion or anything i am missing?

Lorenzo Cordini
English
It depends Apr 25, 2012

Hi Claudio,

I think it depends on the format of the native file.

For example in case of XML (and possibly other XML-based formats) you can save in the original format from Studio without having the native file.

However, in most cases, without the native files, you would not be able to save a clean document from TagEditor either so the client's request does not have much sense.

Lorenzo

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Save target as Apr 25, 2012

Enrico Cau wrote:

As far as i know it doesn't allow me to get a clean file from a TTX. It doesn't allow me from "FILE-SAVE TARGET AS...."

If you open a TTX in Studio and have the original file in the same place then you can definitely get your clean file from "save target as". First save as TTX and then save as the original format.

You don't have to use Tag Editor at all.

Taiwan
Member (2011)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Without native file Apr 25, 2012

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

Enrico Cau wrote:

As far as i know it doesn't allow me to get a clean file from a TTX. It doesn't allow me from "FILE-SAVE TARGET AS...."

If you open a TTX in Studio and have the original file in the same place then you can definitely get your clean file from "save target as". First save as TTX and then save as the original format.

You don't have to use Tag Editor at all.

Hi Emma,

As i explained, no native file. These are docx. files processed as ttx and delivered like that. But my whole rant was about the issues piling up one after the other. No target file, and that's fine, then too many tags, then no chances to amend source to remove the clutter and fix sentences and tags. Ended up by redoing it on TagEditor and delivered the bilinguals.

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
client's unreasonable demands Apr 25, 2012

Sorry, Enrico, I didn't read your post carefully enough. Of course, no native file can be saved if you haven't got the source native file. Not in Studio, or Tag Editor for that matter.

I agree with Lorenzo, your client has asked you for the impossible in that case.

Your client should also have checked whether segmentation rules needed adjusting if you had huge segments. As for exceeding the number of tags in a segment, well, to be honest I've seen massive segments inundated with tags and have never seen that message in the thousands of TTXs that I've processed, so I suspect that the error message may be due to mishandling of tags and an unhelpful error message.

On a positive note, I hope you used the merge files feature in Studio if your project was made up of lots of small files. You would have seen how efficient Studio really is.

Lorenzo Cordini
English
Hi Enrico Apr 26, 2012

Hi Enrico,

sorry in my previous posts for some reason I kept calling you "Claudio".
Sorry if it caused confusion.

Lorenzo

Taiwan
Member (2011)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No problem Apr 27, 2012

Lorenzo Cordini wrote:

Hi Enrico,

sorry in my previous posts for some reason I kept calling you "Claudio".
Sorry if it caused confusion.

Lorenzo

HI Lorenzo,

I noticed but i focused on the content. No problems at all. As long as you don't call me JESSICA it's all ok!

Taiwan
Member (2011)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Agreed in part Apr 27, 2012

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

If you have been tinkering with the ttx the risk that something goes wrong tagwise is great. You should ask the customer to re-process the original file, probably it was badly formatted. No software can make gold out of dirt.
I don't have much experience with Studio. I like to work with Wordfast Classic, where I can reformat the text on the go. No other tool is so flexible.

I do agree that software working directly on the source are somewhat better for these things. However, for the sake of objectivity, i'd like to say that while complaining for the flaws, the rest of the software (in its latest 2011 SP1 version and not in the 2009 version) has greatly improved. And apart from the advantages you mentioned, i doubt a CAT like the one you are using (whose working principle is similar to that of Workbench if i am not wrong), can achieve the same translating speed and level of efficiency of one with an integrated interface where everything can be seen at a glance (Like Studio, MemoQ or others). Translating wise Studio did increase my productivity. I am upset with its flaws and limits, rather than with its philosophy at large. Had i been so disappointed i wouldn't have gone from 2009 to 2011 but would have opted for something else. There are things i don't like but these would take me to a completely different topic. But i do appreciate your opinion.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2011 and its chain of flaws.

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search