Thread poster: veratek

veratek
Brazil
Local time: 21:45
French to English
+ ...
Apr 25, 2012

Hi,

I don't have Trados, but I use OmegaT, which works with TMX tm files.

I see quite a few job ads specifically requiring Trados however. I was wondering: why would a client require Trados if you can supply a TMX tm file? What else are they looking for? What difference does it make for the client if one uses Trados for a project?

Thanks

Claire Cox
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:45
French to English
+ ...
End clients Apr 25, 2012

I've recently started using Trados Studio at the insistence of a couple of very good clients, one a direct client and the other a translation agency. In both cases it is the end clients who insist on Trados, so they can have access to the ttx or xliff files with all the relevant formatting and tags. It also means you can have full access to their extensive TMs or Multiterm databases, which in mny experience don't behave in the same way when used with other programs. I personally prefer Wordfast and have no intention of switching for the rest of my work, but it has been interesting and worthwhile to add Trados to my repertoire for these particular clients. Put simply, if you simply provide them with a TM, that still involves more work at their end - hence why they stipulate Trados.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

requiring translation using Trados

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search