Thread poster: Judith McLean
Judith McLean  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:19
Italian to English
+ ...
Apr 26, 2012

Hi all,
I'm working with Studio 2011 and I have just finished translating a Word document, but when I try to save the target file I get the error message 'cannot find central directory', Origin 'File writing'. I've gone through the Verify function and no errors have been identified. I'd rather not play around with reloading the original document as it's 148 pages long, so if anyone knows of a quicker way round this then I'd appreciate your help.
The only other thing worth noting is that although the translation is 100% complete, it still shows 0.07% draft and -0.07% blank, but I've seen this before and it hasn't stopped me from saving the target file.

Thanks.

Direct link Reply with quote

Atso Puronen
Local time: 05:19
English to Finnish
. Apr 26, 2012

Hi Judith,

I've seen this error message in a situation where I exported an InDesign file (INDD) to IDML format. I quickly found out that I had actually saved the file in INDD format but with IDML extension.

Naturally Studio got confused over this during file detection and complained about a "missing central directory" because IDML is essentially a folder structure disquised as a single file. INDD is nothing more than binary.

DOCX files are actually Zip files containing a folder structure. If your Word file is DOCX, your issue might relate to my issue. Also, Studio doesn't seem to find the original DOCX file.

Judith McLean  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:19
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved Apr 26, 2012

Thanks for your reply Atso. I had a look at the file name and it was very long with hyphens and underscores, so I renamed the source file (a docx file), giving it a much simpler name and reopened it with Studio, still as docx. And that seems to have done the trick. I managed to save the target file as a docx without any error messages.

Thanks again
Judith

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Unable to save target - cannot find central directory

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search