Do you know if there is a way I can lend SDL licenses to people working with me
Thread poster: Lords

Lords  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 08:01
English to Spanish
+ ...
Apr 27, 2012

I have SDL Trados Professional Network 2011, it is awesome, but do you know if there is a package from SDL Trados which let me lend licenses to freelancers helping me with translation because I am not wealthy to be giving away licenses (I think no one), but I have seen that it is better to have the people work with the same program.
Note:it is a real nightmare saving TM with different formats that are not compatible with SDL Trados. It is twice the work than just working with Trados.

Thank you in advance for any advice or help you can provide me with.

Sincerely
Lords.

Direct link Reply with quote

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 17:01
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Don't think there is Apr 27, 2012

Usually outsourcers require the freelancer to use his/her own software. If we use other software than the outsourcer has specified it is our job to make the files compatible.

If you would give a license away to someone, how would you make sure they really return it to you after the job is done and don't use it for there own purpose as long as they wish?

Rolf Keller
Germany
Local time: 16:01
English to German
How long will those freelancers use that licenses? Apr 27, 2012

Lords wrote:

lend licenses to freelancers helping me with translation

How much time will those freelancers need to get familiar with such a complicated software? Every day, there are lots of queries regarding usage problems ...

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
I guess... Apr 27, 2012

... you could just buy a few freelance licenses and email the codes to the freelancers, then ask them to return the license when they're done with the project.
If they refuse to return the license, you're in a bit of trouble as posted above... but I don't think that will happen. Even if some translators were tempted, they know they won't get new jobs from you - or get paid for the current project - if they steal your license.
I don't think SDL would be too happy about the arrangement if they found out. It's probably against the EULA, but the EULA may or may not be enforceable in accordance witth the laws of your country and it's hardly imaginable that SDL would attempt to enforce it in a situation like this.

[Edited at 2012-04-27 09:55 GMT]

aslimnb  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2009)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Temporary license Apr 28, 2012

I have a client that uses a similar software and each time they assign me a job they also send me a temporary license to use that particular software.

I think SDL should have this kind of system too, maybe you should ask someone about it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do you know if there is a way I can lend SDL licenses to people working with me

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search