Trados 2009 vs. 2011
Thread poster: soomi
soomi
Canada
Local time: 17:32
English to Korean
+ ...
Apr 29, 2012

Is Trados 2011 compatible with 2009? For my job, I receive Trados 2009 SDLX file. Can I use (read/edit/save, etc.) the SDLX 2009 through Trados SDLX 2011? I have realized that 2009 is not on the market and thus I cannot purchase it. Any ideas? It would be the best if I could purchase/use the Trados 2009.

Direct link Reply with quote

Rafael Mondini Bueno  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:32
English to Portuguese
I think it is Apr 29, 2012

As far as I know, you can both read and write in Trados studio 2009 files using the 2011 version of the program. Some days ago, I opened, in Trados 2011, a project I did using Trados 2009, changed some things there and it worked just fine.

soomi
Canada
English to Korean
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
more in detail? Apr 29, 2012

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Could you share your experience more in detail? How did you save the file then? You can save it for Trados 2009 version? save as...??

Rafael Mondini Bueno  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:32
English to Portuguese
Details Apr 30, 2012

Just to be sure, I have opened another sdlproj. file, of another translation project I finished some months ago using Trados Studio 2009. So, here is the thing: Trados studio 2011 detected that this particular file was created using an earlier version of the program, so it said that, to open the project files, it must upgrade them to the 2011 version. So I was partially wrong, you can open 2009-native files in TS 2011, but you cannot save them in the original version-extension.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:32
English
2009 vs 2011 Apr 30, 2012

soomi wrote:

Is Trados 2011 compatible with 2009? For my job, I receive Trados 2009 SDLX file. Can I use (read/edit/save, etc.) the SDLX 2009 through Trados SDLX 2011? I have realized that 2009 is not on the market and thus I cannot purchase it. Any ideas? It would be the best if I could purchase/use the Trados 2009.

Hi soomi,

If you received a package created in Studio 2009 then you can open this with Studio 2011 and you can create a return package when the work is complete that will be usable in Studio 2009.

If you received an SDLXLIFF file (the bilingual format for Studio) then this can be used in Studio 2009 or Studio 2011.

It is very unlikely that your customer would zip up their project for you to open via the sdlproj. However, if they did then Rafael is correct in that Studio 2011 will upgrade the Project from 2009. This is not something you can save back as 2009 when you are finished, but you could send the TMs or the SDLXLIFF files and your customer can use these to update their project.

So, if you can provide a little bit more information on what files you have been sent then it would be easier to answer this question properly.

Regards

Paul

soomi
Canada
English to Korean
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
HOw to use SDLX 2006 file at Trados 2011 Oct 14, 2012

Thank you for the information.

I have just learned that the problematic client has used SDLX Lite. Thus, I receive itd file for the SDLX lite. It sometimes is not saved in Trados 2009. I have 2011 license and thus am about to upgrade the Trados to the 2011 version. Then, how can I provide the translation service to the SDLX lite user?

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:32
English
Working with ITD Oct 14, 2012

Hi,

Studio can open an ITD without a problem so you open the file, translate and then save the target file. The target file will be an ITD.

Important things to note though relate to what your client is expecting. SDLX uses colours to mark up the segments with different statuses. So if you confirm all the segments in Studio as you work then in SDLX they will all be blue for example.

So, if you make sure that “Automatically confirm 100% matches” is not activated in the ITD filetype settings, and also that “Confirm segment after applying an exact match” is not activated in the Editor –> Automation settings then your SDLX client will have a better experience that is more like the one they would have when working with SDLX throughout the supply chain.

But even if you don't do this the file should be fine when translated in Studio... you just lose some reviewing possibilities that your client might use.

Regards

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2009 vs. 2011

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search