Libero_Lang_Lab  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:55
Member (2006)
Russian to English
+ ...
Apr 29, 2012

Hi there,

Any seasoned Trados-ites who can assist me? I own, and occasionally even use, Trados 2009, but don't profess to have a deep knowledge of the tool. A new client has asked me to do a translation using Trados 2007; they can't work with a file created in a later version. Are there any stratagems I can deploy to give them what they want without actually laying my hands on a copy of the older version...?

Cheers,

Dan

Hazel Underwood  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
TTX Apr 29, 2012

The only format you can really use is TTX then. This is the TagEditor format from 2007, which you can open and translate in 2009.

If they want a bilingual Word file back then you'd need 2011 to produce that (although only if you got a presegmented file sent to you in the first place).

Libero_Lang_Lab  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2006)
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Delivery format Apr 30, 2012

Hi Hazel

Thanks for that. What they have asked for is a an unclean file, produced in (or compatible with) Trados 2007...

Dan

Rossana Triaca  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 13:55
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
Ask them... Apr 30, 2012

to create the .ttx file for you, and you can open it and work in Trados 2009 as usual. Once finished save the target as .ttx and send this file back; they'll have no problem cleaning up the file and/or updating their TMs.

Word of caution though; don't mess with the segmentation when you're working on 2009 or things may not go as smoothly (i.e., don't join or split units).

Anna Sylvia Villegas Carvallo
Mexico
Local time: 11:55
English to Spanish
Otherwise... Apr 30, 2012

I use Trados 2007 for my main language pair: English to Spanish.

But, I can reinstall and add your language pair (hope the original is not in Russian, as my Word application could not recognize it).

Then, I pre-translate the Word file. (It will not be really translated, but repeated on the target segments.)

Finally, you open the file and just translate the target segments with no TM, and without touching the Trados keys. You'll need to do it carefully...

This way, your client will have a Trados 2007 unclean Word file.

What do you think about it?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2007

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search