Urgent: Cannot clean up or convert a translated TTX file
Thread poster: Martha Fillastre
Martha Fillastre
Martha Fillastre  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:33
French to English
Apr 30, 2012

I'm Working with Trados 2007 on a PC running under Vista and with Office 2010. I just finished translating a Word file with TagEditor, but cannot clean it up. TagEditor crashes each time. I have tried to translate it with Studio 2011, but it crashes as well when I try to convert it. The original file was apparently created with a Mac and contains pictures that I cannot open (I have a message saying that Quicktime is required.). I don't know if this explains my problem. Any help will be most appr... See more
I'm Working with Trados 2007 on a PC running under Vista and with Office 2010. I just finished translating a Word file with TagEditor, but cannot clean it up. TagEditor crashes each time. I have tried to translate it with Studio 2011, but it crashes as well when I try to convert it. The original file was apparently created with a Mac and contains pictures that I cannot open (I have a message saying that Quicktime is required.). I don't know if this explains my problem. Any help will be most appreciated.
Martha
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 14:33
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Ask for new file Apr 30, 2012

The customer should provide a Windows-compatible file. You could offer to translate a file with only text, so they can insert the images later.
You could also try to create a rtf from Word, Trados software is more friendly with rtf. But often the size grows too much.

Martha Fillastre
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Urgent: Cannot clean up or convert a translated TTX file" Apr 30, 2012

Thanks but I am really looking for a solution to this particular problem. Getting a new file at this point is not the issue.

Hazel Underwood
Hazel Underwood  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:33
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
Save Target As Apr 30, 2012

Have you tried Save Target As instead in case that works?

Is the TM you are working with large? If so, you could also try creating an empty TM and cleaning up into that. You mention TagEditor crashing, but I assume you mean workbench?

Alternatively, open the source file and choose Save As and select an alternative version of Word to the current one (.doc or .docx) and run through quickly with Trados (shouldn't take long as most should be in the memory anyway).

Marina Soldati
Marina Soldati  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 09:33
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Delete the images Apr 30, 2012

Hi!

Create a new source file without the images, translate it in TagEditor, then go to File>Save target as (you need the source file in the same folder a the ttx file).
When you have the clean file, just insert the images again.

Whenever I have a doc file full of images, this is what I do and it usually works fine.

Marina

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:33
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Maybe it's because... Apr 30, 2012

as far as I know, Trados 2007 is not compatible with Office 2010? Unless they've changed something in the meantime...

http://deu.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/180362-compatibility_of_sdl_trados_2007_with_office_2010.html

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
It is compatible Apr 30, 2012

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:

as far as I know, Trados 2007 is not compatible with Office 2010? Unless they've changed something in the meantime...

http://deu.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/180362-compatibility_of_sdl_trados_2007_with_office_2010.html

Hi,

The Trados toolbar will work with Office 2010 as long as you install the 32-bit edition.

I don't know why the file won't convert... but if you are able to share it with me I'll be happy to see why Studio 2011 can't handle it?

Regards

Paul

Martha Fillastre
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
It is compatible (most of the time) Apr 30, 2012

I have been using Office 2010 with Trados 2007 for one year now, and it is true that while it works most of the time, there are a few problems. I usually switch between Trados 2007 and Studio depending on the file and the client's requirements. I'm wondering if the fact that the file was orignially created with a Mac caused the problem. I'll be happy to send you the file Paul. I ended creating a new memory, saving the file to docx and it worked. But I'm going to have to work on more files like t... See more
I have been using Office 2010 with Trados 2007 for one year now, and it is true that while it works most of the time, there are a few problems. I usually switch between Trados 2007 and Studio depending on the file and the client's requirements. I'm wondering if the fact that the file was orignially created with a Mac caused the problem. I'll be happy to send you the file Paul. I ended creating a new memory, saving the file to docx and it worked. But I'm going to have to work on more files like this for the project so I'd like to understand what is really the problem.
Thanks to everyone for their help.
Collapse

Martha Fillastre
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
How do I send you the files Paul? Apr 30, 2012

The limit for sending files is 2 Mb and this file is bigger than that.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Our email limit is 10Mb Apr 30, 2012

Hi Martha,

If they will zip to less than 10Mb please email them to me at [email protected]

Otherwise just drop me an email and I'll send you an ftp login where you can place them.

Regards

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Urgent: Cannot clean up or convert a translated TTX file

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »