Thread poster: Hazel Underwood

Hazel Underwood  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:50
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
May 1, 2012

I had often encountered the above error message when trying to presegment/pretranslate TTX files/certain Word files for translation in other tools.

As I happened to finally come across a solution that worked I thought it was worth posting on here in case it helps anyone else:

Open the ttx with a text editor like notepad or wordpad.

In the second line
Change: DataType="PlugInConverted"
To: DataType="XML"

When the file is opened, Tageditor will prompt for a DTD/INI file -- choose anything (default html).

After Translation, restore the original DataType attribute.

Direct link Reply with quote

Wrong DataType Nov 2, 2012

Hello,

sometimes TTX files are merged files generate with Trados Glue. For some file types that won't be a problem. But Trados Glue can't merge doc files. So therefore it is possible to use a little trick. The word files are saved as ttx before and then ttx files merged by Trados Glue.

This merged TTX files are special, because in the header of ttx you will find the information of the original file format (DataType="Plugin converted", PluginInfo="Word Filter..."). So the TagEditor knows, if you are save as target, generate a Word file back. But this can't work after merging, because the source of these merged TTX are not one word file, but a lot of ttx. This will confusing the TagEditor oder Workbench to and you get this error message.

So if you have a merged TTX from a lot of doc-ttx files, you can't pretranslate these files!

The right way will be, pretranslate before merge. Pretranslating Word files will generating pretranslated TTX files and these files could merged by Trados Glue. (Contact you customer or LSP for pretranslated TTX files)

Your Solution to change DataType in the header of the TTX is really not a good idea!
Because you use a DataType what is much different to Word. The DataTyp manages the segmentation and Tag rules in TagEditor. The Rules between Word and XML are very different.

If you realy need to pretranslate these TTX (what is the different between pretranslation and 100%-Match while translation) you should change DataType to "STF". This format (Framemaker) makes the fewest problems (ini is not needed). Before your translate the pretranslated ttx change DataType back!

Hope you will unterstand my statments, because I am german and my english is not so good.

Regards

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Unknown tag while converting Word file

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search