Thread poster: Hermeneutica

Hermeneutica  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 19:46
Dutch to English
+ ...
May 1, 2012

Hi,

Last December I purchased Trados 2007 and Studio 2011 together with Multiterm in a ProZ Group Buy. This includes the SP1. Due to work pressures, it was only today that I found some time to download and *try* to install the software.

Problem: I try to execute the pertinent .exe files and get a dialog box with a key symbol about the user. It asks me whether to apply the current user [my username with some more or less logical = name components added] and of course I say YES. Then the next thing that happens is that the Windows folder that is indicated in the Installation Manual downloaded from the SDL site shows in grey as the installation site [so far so good] but then I get an error message that it is inaccessible. I have tried the "choice of users" option with ONLY my username [not including the additional components mentioned earlier] and a password is required, but as far as I know no PW was ever set, and this has never been a problem with any other installations. Then I get the same "inaccessible" error message.

Talking to a much more knowledgeable colleague, because the folder shows in grey and the installation guide warns about hidden folders, I set Explorer to show all folders. I also disabled my virus software COMODO [free version].

As far as I know my Windows updates are all done as they take place automatically [and I regularly find my computer ready to restart and telling me that they have been done].

My friend suspects that the problem lies in the XP PRO user authorisations, and mentioned some other options but thought that there were more knowledgeable people out in the community whom I could ask before we caused some sort of a genetic mutation in my laptop [a Dell Vostro 1510] that is my main worktool and without which I cannot be.

I would be extremely grateful for any info on how this problem can be resolved, as a valued customer has been waiting with bated breath for me to be "Studio 2011 ready" for her projects. The matter has therefore now become urgent as I expected diffficulties in getting used to the software [being a Wordfast devotee but having already used SDLX] but not such basic issues as installation problems.

Thank you all so much in advance and kind regards

Dee

Direct link Reply with quote

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Raise a support request May 1, 2012

Hi,

If you are having problems installing Studio 2011 then go to the Knowledgebase;

http://kb.sdl.com

Then go to the tab called Solution Finder and now go here;

Download & Installation Problems
- I get an error message during installation.
- - I am installing SDL Trados Studio 2011

This will bring up a form that you can fill in to generate a support request and you will be contacted, normally within a day or two.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Paul

Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
User rights – the XP trap May 2, 2012

[quote]Hermeneutica wrote:

With Win NT, 2000, XP, Vista or Win 7 you have to think of the so-called "access rights".
These rights are user-dependent. A "normal" user hasn't any right to write into program folders. This implies that he or she cannot use a software (e. g. a setup.exe) that tries to write into such folders. Only a user with administrative rights can do that. Vista & Win 7 take care of this, but XP Pro needs a more computer-responsable user.

My friend suspects that the problem lies in the XP PRO user authorisations

That's what I think, too. 99 % of all installation troubles with XP Pro result from such things.

I would be extremely grateful for any info on how this problem

It is difficult to give an advice which is not a dangerous one: If you don't know anything about different users access rights, you might make your PC totally unusuable. IMHO you need a person who solves the problem on site. As it is a laptop you could go to one of these tiny computer shops.

Hermeneutica  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Computer magic May 3, 2012

Hello All,

and thank you for your replies. While I was writing the support ticket for SDL the next morning, I thought to myself "why don't you just try it again" [being well-known for not recognizing the fact of repeating the same things and expecting a different result as being the definition of madness!] and I did, and hey presto, it unpacked like a dream. Go figure ...

Then of course, the fun did not cease, as I had a sudden power outage during the registration / licence acceptance process and then it took a while to find out that the installation process proper had not yet started [so I could not deinstall to reinstall] -- because the unpacking wanted to start over and over but could not complete. When I finally located all the files, I clicked on the setup.exe and am now up and running.

Next problem is with TMXs generated from Wordfast TMs because all the lovely TMXs sent by my clients over time contained all kinds of awful codes which in the conversion to Wf and reconversion to TMX apparently become unrecognizable for Studio, but that is another story and I *may* have to open another thread for it.

In the meantime I shall go back to having fun with my new toy, grumblegrumble ...

Best to all

Dee

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Installation problem with Windows XP Pro

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search