Change Target languages in Trados Studio 2011 Freelance
Thread poster: Tigerlilygurlie

Tigerlilygurlie  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 18:52
May 2, 2012

Hi,

I decided to buy the software yesterday. I had also bought a paying tutorial in March to figure out how to work this thing, but it's not proving very helpful right now.

When I installed the software for the first time, I was asked to pick 5 Target Languages (I understand that Freelance only allows for 5 languages, contrary to Professional, which is unlimited).

I made the mistake of picking variations of English and French, because these are the languages I usually translate in.

Now back to the tutorial: My first exercise is to create a translation memory with the languages English US and German. Problem is, German is not in my drop-down menu because I never selected it as part of the 5 languages in the first place.

I tried searching Help but to no avail. (I did find a section entitled How to Add New Target Languages but the steps are not working. I'm assuming it's because I already have my 5 languages set up and need to modify one of the languages.)

Please help. Trados support sucks.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:52
English
Why not do the exercise in French instead of German? May 2, 2012

Hi,

The best thing for you to do if you want to add German is to return your license, uninstall the software, and then install and license again. This time just select English and French generally as this will give you all the sublanguages but only takes two languages.

Yours

Paul
Trados "Sucking" Support

Tigerlilygurlie  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 18:52
TOPIC STARTER
Trados reinstall May 3, 2012

Thanks for the advice. I can't believe there isn't an easier way but the reinstall the whole thing... I guess I have no choice.

lydiar  Identity Verified
New Zealand
Local time: 12:52
Member (2006)
French to English
Agree May 9, 2012

It seems incredible that to complete the SDL training you need to uninstall!

I am working on the intermediate training for 2009 studio and parts of the course include a package import so there doesn't seem to be any workaround.

I'm in the same boat having selected my working languages (French /English). Silly me for not thinking I might need German!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Change Target languages in Trados Studio 2011 Freelance

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search