How to change segmentation rules in Excel filter?
Thread poster: avsie

avsie  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:03
English to French
+ ...
May 3, 2012

Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding the segmentation rules in Studio 2011, in regards to Excel files. To summarize the situation: we have an Excel file with several cells filled with individual keywords, at least 50 per cell. All words are all separated by a semi-colon. There are also other cells with just normal text for translation. When we open the file in Studio 2011, the cells with the keywords are presented to us as 1 segment per cell, instead of each word being presented as 1 segment (which is what we want).

I've looked in the Excel filter configurations and I don't see anywhere where it would be possible to change the default segmentation rules for Excel.

Do you have any insights to share?

Our system: Studio 2011 SP1 10.1.2878.3, in combination with WorldServer 10.0.0.124. The file is Excel 2010.

[Edited at 2012-05-03 05:51 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Roy OConnor
Member (2009)
German to English
Settings under language resources May 3, 2012

Good morning, Marie-Claude,

If the same approach is used in 2011 as in the 2009 version of Trados, the segmentation is altered in the Translation Memory and Automated Translation window under Settings-> Language Resources -> Segmentation Rules.

You can obtain the Translation Memory and Automated Translation window in a number of ways, but also under File types -> Language Pairs -> All language pairs. There doesn't appear to be the possibility of segmentation specific to the file type.

Hope that helps!
Roy

avsie  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks May 3, 2012

I guess I'll have to go with that. But I'm struggling the find the similar setting in WorldServer, as the file will need to be prepared in there and not in Studio. I was hoping I could translate the Studio setting to a similar setting in WorldServer, but no such luck so far...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to change segmentation rules in Excel filter?

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search