https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/224237-cannot_find_trados_under_program_files_to_activate_toolbar.html

cannot find Trados under Program Files to activate toolbar
Thread poster: Mariana Rohlig Sa
Mariana Rohlig Sa
Mariana Rohlig Sa  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:49
Member (2012)
English to German
+ ...
May 5, 2012

Dear all,

I've recently installed SDL Studio 2011 plus Trados 2007 (Freelance) on my laptop. I've only been using Studio so far on this laptop, but today, wanting to use Trados 2007 for the first time on this laptop, the flagman does not appear on the WOrd toolbar. As I went to check it under Program Files \ Trados \ TT \ templates, SDL does not appear. It does appear when accessing All Programs. However, I cannot find TT \ Templates anywhere. I have WOrd 2010. Any suggestions?

Mariana Rohlig Sa
Germany
Member (2012)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I forgot to add May 5, 2012

Mariana Rohlig Sa wrote:

Dear all,

I've recently installed SDL Studio 2011 plus Trados 2007 (Freelance) on my laptop. I've only been using Studio so far on this laptop, but today, wanting to use Trados 2007 for the first time on this laptop, the flagman does not appear on the WOrd toolbar. As I went to check it under Program Files \ Trados \ TT \ templates, SDL does not appear. It does appear when accessing All Programs. However, I cannot find TT \ Templates anywhere. I have WOrd 2010. Any suggestions?

MultiTerm does however appear when accessing Program Files through the windows explorer. Also, the keystrokes (e.g. ALT + home) do not work either. And when I say that the flagman doesn't appear, I also mean that "Trados" does not appear either in the Toolbar.

Thanks for any help

Suzanne Blangsted (X)
Suzanne Blangsted (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:49
Danish to English
+ ...
Trados May 5, 2012

It sounds to me like you only downloaded Trados but didn't open the zip file and install the program. When it installs, it placed the "flagman" automatically.

If it does not install, go back to SDL Trados and download an earlier version of Trados as it could be that your Trados 7 download is an upgrade, and you therefore must have an older version installed first to get it to "take" Trados 7.

Blangsted

Mariana Rohlig Sa
Germany
Member (2012)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
But would I be able to use TagEditor if Trados wasn't installed? May 5, 2012

I´ve used TagEditor repeatedly since installing Trados on this laptop, just not Workbench. And for that I obviously had to install and activate Trados on this laptop. Or am I wrong?

Andrzej Lejman
Andrzej Lejman  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
German to Polish
+ ...
How could you May 6, 2012

use TE without Workbench?

Are you sure about all the names?

A.

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
File path to locate the template May 6, 2012

If you are running Win7 then this is where the template is:
C:\Program Files (x86)\SDL International\T2007_FL\TT\Templates
For Word 2010 you need to copy the file with the extension .dotm (note the "m") into your Word Start-Up folder that you'll find here:
C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Word\STARTUP

How could you use TE without Workbench?

You're right, TE needs Workbench, but the OP is asking how to use Workbench as an add-on in Word, so it's the template she's missing.

Mariana Rohlig Sa
Germany
Member (2012)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Which file do I need to copy? May 6, 2012

Thanks Emma! Where can I find the file with the extension .dotm?

Andrzej, you are obviously right. Sorry if I wasn't clear enough. I still get confused with all the names.

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
TRADOS8.dotm May 6, 2012

If you can't see it in the folder I pointed you to, then you've probably got hidden files and folders in your Windows Explorer. Go to Organise>folder options>View, and enable "Show hidden files and folders".

Mariana Rohlig Sa
Germany
Member (2012)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Found the template May 6, 2012

Thanks again Emma. I´ve managed to find the template folder under the Local Disc. However, it only shows the file TRADOS8.dot (no m at the end). What shall I do?

I aplogise for being a zero in IT.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

cannot find Trados under Program Files to activate toolbar

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »