Excel question
Thread poster: FreeHansje

FreeHansje  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:37
Dutch to English
+ ...
May 6, 2012

Hi there,
I have received an Excel file with text to be translated. Baiscally the file exists of 2 columns: first column with text to be translated, second column is for the translations. Although it's not really necessarry I wish to use TRADOS here. I wonder, is there an easy way to get the translations automatically in the 2nd column? Probably I can copy the translations from the new file to the appropriate column from the 1st file, but maybe there is some TRADOS feature, where you can arrange this during translating?

TIA,
Hans Brouwer

Direct link Reply with quote

kimjasper  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2006)
English to Danish
+ ...
Copy and hide May 6, 2012

Copy the source text form the first column to the second column, then hide the first column (right-click on the column heading and select 'Hide'). Trados Studio (and maybe the older Trados workbench as well) only handles the unhidden parts of the file. After the translation, unhide the first column again with the View function.

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 22:37
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
I would use Wordfast Pro May 6, 2012

In WFP this can be done easily, without hiding or copying. The visard will open and you can select which column to translate and into which column to put the translation. After translation and saving the translated file you only have to adjust text alignment and columns width.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Copy and hide will work... May 6, 2012

... but you could also save as a CSV and have the source and target recognised. The options can be found under Tools - Options - Filetypes - Comma delimited (CSV):

Might be easier.

Regards

Paul

juanpablosans  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 20:37
Member (2011)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thanks May 6, 2012

kimjasper wrote:

Copy the source text form the first column to the second column, then hide the first column (right-click on the column heading and select 'Hide'). Trados Studio (and maybe the older Trados workbench as well) only handles the unhidden parts of the file. After the translation, unhide the first column again with the View function.

OMG I so did not know it! You are a genious! Thanks, man

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 22:37
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
what about formatting? May 7, 2012

SDL Support wrote:

... but you could also save as a CSV and have the source and target recognised. The options can be found under Tools - Options - Filetypes - Comma delimited (CSV):

Might be easier.

Regards

Paul

Hi Paul,

CSV or Tab Delimited Text formats can be used but any formatting in the Excel file (colours, bold, italic, font size, etc.) will be lost when converted to CSV. So the solutions offered by Wordfast Pro or Passolo are much more better.

United Kingdom
English
Formatting May 7, 2012

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

CSV or Tab Delimited Text formats can be used but any formatting in the Excel file (colours, bold, italic, font size, etc.) will be lost when converted to CSV. So the solutions offered by Wordfast Pro or Passolo are much more better.

Hi Selcuk,

That's true of course if you have any formatting in a list like this. I must admit I did think that most lists like this wouldn't contain formatting as they often seem to come from simple text exports... but of course you are correct as the csv won't support it.

I also thought the Wordfast solution was tab delimited text files only... but I don't know the tool well enough to be sure so I'm happy to be instructed there?

Regards

Paul

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Easy... May 7, 2012

SDL Support wrote:

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

That's true of course if you have any formatting in a list like this. I must admit I did think that most lists like this wouldn't contain formatting as they often seem to come from simple text exports... but of course you are correct as the csv won't support it.

I also thought the Wordfast solution was tab delimited text files only... but I don't know the tool well enough to be sure so I'm happy to be instructed there?

Wordfast Pro is very simple here.
You open the Excel file, select the Advanced Wizard.
On the Preview page you display as many columns as you want (the default 3 is IMO somehow absurd, you repeat this operation for every sheet if necessary).
Then, on the Selection page, you select the columns you want to translate and map the target column.
Then you have the Regular expressions page, if necessary.

Catspeed
GG

FreeHansje  Identity Verified
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Tnx for answering, but.. May 7, 2012

Tnx for answering all. I do not own WFP, so that is out.

This copying of the original text column, I don't get what good this does. My translations are still going into a target doc, right? Which means I have to copy it anyhow. Or am I missing something here?

TIA,
Hans Brouwer

United Kingdom
English
In answering your question... May 7, 2012

FreeHansje wrote:

This copying of the original text column, I don't get what good this does. My translations are still going into a target doc, right? Which means I have to copy it anyhow. Or am I missing something here?

... Kim suggested that you copy the source column to the column you wish to contain the target and hide the rest because then when you translate the file you will only see the text to be translated. The saved target file when you have finished translating will contain the source and the target text instead of two columns of source.

The csv method allows you to just translate the file and specify which column to place the translation. This method is better because you can have a file where some of the cells have already been translated and there is no need to copy any columns ... but of course as Selcuk pointed out you do lose out if there is any formatting in the cells to be applied as this will be lost in csv format.

Regards

Paul

United Kingdom
English
On wordfast... May 7, 2012

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

On the Preview page you display as many columns as you want (the default 3 is IMO somehow absurd, you repeat this operation for every sheet if necessary).
Then, on the Selection page, you select the columns you want to translate and map the target column.
Then you have the Regular expressions page, if necessary.

Catspeed
GG

Thanks GG, I just had a quick play with this. Am I correct in thinking that whilst this is simple to do you still have to copy the source column into the column you wish to translate or you overwrite the original? Also that you cannot have a source column and a partially translated target column?

I couldn't see how this would handle this so whilst the formatting in an excel sheet is still maintained it is really just the same as using the hide column idea Kim suggested... but rather you go through a wizard to do it for you?

The csv option may be better here (in my opinion and unless there is a way to use the wizard to achieve this that I can't see) because you can start with source and target columns and even handle pretranslated target cells as if it was a bilingual file.

Regards

Paul

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Wordfast... formatting... May 7, 2012

SDL Support wrote:

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

Thanks GG, I just had a quick play with this. Am I correct in thinking that whilst this is simple to do you still have to copy the source column into the column you wish to translate or you overwrite the original?

No.
The mapping means "put the translation from column A in the column B", you specify the target column in the wizard.
No need to copy.
In theory, it's really nice.
The problem is Wordfast Pro has a bug in the design, you can't specify an empty column, so you need to enter just one letter in the first cell of the target column

It's... huh... not very intuitive but you can always ask help of the Multiterm programmers, it's exactly their kind of logic

Also that you cannot have a source column and a partially translated target column?

No.
The existing text will be overwritten.

I couldn't see how this would handle this so whilst the formatting in an excel sheet is still maintained it is really just the same as using the hide column idea Kim suggested... but rather you go through a wizard to do it for you?

The formatting is handled by the wizard at the letter level.
The settings at the cell level are not copied, at least some of them e.g. wrap text, highlighting.
I'm not a Wordfast Pro guru, I might miss something.

The problem with the column hiding in Trados is it may need a lot of work for files with multiple sheets/columns.
I often export in order to take a look (e.g. the string length), the column unhiding is simply awful for complex worksheets.
A direct solution seems more handy even if it's far from being perfect.

The csv option may be better here (in my opinion and unless there is a way to use the wizard to achieve this that I can't see) because you can start with source and target columns and even handle pretranslated target cells as if it was a bilingual file.

Yep, in theory you're right.
But every tools I'm aware has some limitations, the best choice depend heavily of the job.

E.g. for Trados, I would add another hint.
Paste Special, Values.
In this way you can preserve the formatting (at the cell level) and copy the content.
But if your text contains formatting at the letter level, it will be lost.

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2012-05-07 11:04 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Excel question

Advanced search

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search