Trados Studio 2011: Do I still need 2009?
Thread poster: Yoko Busk

Yoko Busk  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2010)
Japanese to English
+ ...
May 6, 2012

Hi. I just upgraded from Studio 2009 to 2011. When I downloaded I thought 2009 will disappear and be over written by 2011, but this didn't happen and both 2009 and 2011 exist on computer.
It's silly but I read download instruction after download and it said you don't need to uninstall 2009 (when you upgrade) but there was no further explanation what I have to do. I understand I can use the same TM from 2009 but I think it is waste of hard drive space to keep 2009 as 2011 covers all the functions of 2009.
If you have upgraded from 2009 to 2011 and have any advice, I really appreciate it.

Thank you in advance.

Direct link Reply with quote

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 21:16
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
No, you don't, actually May 6, 2012

However, Studio 2009 will be active in your computer until you would remove/deactivate it.

United Kingdom
Member (2010)
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you. May 6, 2012

Thank you Natalie for your prompt reply.
I have one more question. If I delete 2009, can I just move Translation Memories folder in Studio 2009 folder to 2011 folder?
There was no TM folder created in 2011 folder (my document) when downloaded.

It may be very basic question, but I don't want to risk my data by judging by my poor knowledge. Thank you.

[2012-05-06 18:54 GMTに編集されました]

Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Hi Yoko May 6, 2012

I would suggest the following: keep Studio 2009 until you would get completely comfortable with the 2011 version.

What about the projects, you should have no problems with them at all: simply open them in Studio 2011 and start working.

Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Forgot to add May 6, 2012

Yoko Busk wrote:
There was no TM folder created in 2011 folder (my document) when downloaded.

Simply keep your TMs where you usually keep them, and add to your projects as needed.

United Kingdom
Member (2010)
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I see. May 6, 2012

Thank you again Natalie. I just transfered all the data to new laptop and re-downloaded Trados and I was obsessed with minimizing the hard drive space. I will definitely keep 2009 as it is until I master (when?) 2011.
Thank you for your assuring advice.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Studio 2011: Do I still need 2009?

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search