Thread poster: Helene Olsen Richards

Helene Olsen Richards  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:30
Member (2006)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
May 7, 2012

I am sure this is posted somewhere else....

I have a client who has sent me Word files and want me to use TagEditor to translate or somehow convert the Word files to ttx after?

I have version 6.5 (I know...outdated)....is there a newer version that is capable of this? I do not have it (obviously)....but need to somehow to get this accomplished? Can anyone suggest anything/help?

Thanks so much.

Helene

Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 06:30
Member (2005)
English to Polish
+ ...
Any particular reason they want TagEditor? May 7, 2012

Helene Olsen Richards wrote:

I am sure this is posted somewhere else....

I have a client who has sent me Word files and want me to use TagEditor to translate or somehow convert the Word files to ttx after?

I have version 6.5 (I know...outdated)....is there a newer version that is capable of this? I do not have it (obviously)....but need to somehow to get this accomplished? Can anyone suggest anything/help?

Thanks so much.

Helene

WIll they be reviewing the file in TagEditor or just want to feed the TM? If so then a bilingual word file or jus the TM export should be OK.

There are newer version of TagEditor capable of doing word files but I'm not sure there is a chance to buy a license from SDL.

Though, if your client sends you a bilingual TTX file, you can translate it in OmegaT, which is free.

Regards,

Piotr Bieńkowski

Helene Olsen Richards  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:30
Member (2006)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Reply May 7, 2012

Hi

I do not know ....he only tells me that he can not accept the Word files....

Can the TM I already made in Workbench be used with Omega?

And TagEditor files will open in Omega as well?

Any help is appreciated....over halfway into the project and this happens..

Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 06:30
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Your TM will work with TagEditor May 7, 2012

I am assuming you have TagEditor along with Workbench.

As far as I remember, 6.5 included TagEditor.
I always considered it a pain, but some clients do want .ttx files, and sometimes it is better at dealing with complicated formatting.

If you have it, then you can open your TM, and open TagEditor. Save a backup of your source files before you start, just to be sure...

Then simply open your source file in TagEditor
- either Files > Open and browse,
or drag and drop the icon of the file into the grey area where it will open in TagEditor.

Save the bilingual file (Files > Save Bilingual as...) and you will have a .ttx file. This will not be bilingual yet - you have to 'translate' it.

However, if you press Translate to Fuzzy (the button with curved arrows on the toolbar in TagEditor)
or the Alt key and X on the numerical keyboard,
it will zip through until it reaches a segment that is not a 100% match. Most of your segments will be matches in the TM.

Typical exceptions are merged or split segments.
If you have merged or split segments, you will have to do the same again in TagEditor - the keyboard shortcuts are the same.

Then save the file when you get to the end, and there is the bilingual .ttx file for your client.

If you are translating without problems in Word, my advice would be to finish the translation and proofread it before starting to work with TagEditor - I found it much easier to proofread and make corrections in the Workbench/Word setup.

Of course, you must make sure you open each segment you correct, and save the corrections to the TM, because that is what TagEditor will insert in the .ttx file...

Best of luck!

Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 01:30
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Trados 6.5 includes TagEditor May 8, 2012

Even though your Trados version is outdated it still has TagEditor. You should have it in your SDL program folder. If not, you should browse for it in the CD provided you purchased the software (or download it online, just go to www.translationzone.com > click "my account" and log in). You should be able to download and install TagEditor.

Trados SDL provides you a time limited demo (I'm not sure if the links still works) at http://www.translationzone.com/en/landing/sdl-trados-studio-trial/default.asp

Regards

Clarisa

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word files in TagEditor-> Urgent Help!

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search