Unable to view source files in a Project (Studio 2011)
Thread poster: xxxStrastran
xxxStrastran
France
Local time: 12:29
French to English
+ ...
May 9, 2012

Hi all

I'd like to view the source files in a project I'm working on but get an error when I try to open them.

They are Powerpoint files, but despite having a .ppt extension, under 'Type' it says 'SDLXLIFF File'.
Powerpoint just doesn't want to open them.

I've checked that it's the right folder for the source and not the target files (Project / fr-FR).

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance.

Direct link Reply with quote

Andrzej Lejman  Identity Verified
German to Polish
+ ...
If it is a project file, May 10, 2012

you cannot open it from the File menu.

Use Open Package instead and follow the procedure.

Regards

A.

xxxStrastran
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your reply. May 10, 2012

Andrzej Lejman wrote:

you cannot open it from the File menu.

Use Open Package instead and follow the procedure.

Regards

A.

You can open files contained within Projects through Windows Explorer.

However, whether I try that way or by using Open Package, I can't open these files. I have a feeling my customer has created the package incorrectly but I'm not sure.

Miguel Carmona  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:29
English to Spanish
Please clarify May 10, 2012

Are you saying that you actually can open the project in Studio and work on the translation (that would be the SDLXLIFF file), but you are not able to open the PPT files? Is that what you are saying? To open PPT files you need PowerPoint.

xxxStrastran
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That's right May 10, 2012

Miguel Carmona wrote:

Are you saying that you actually can open the project in Studio and work on the translation (that would be the SDLXLIFF file), but you are not able to open the PPT files? Is that what you are saying? To open PPT files you need PowerPoint.

When I try to open the source files with Powerpoint, it opens but with errors, and the content is gibberish (a mess of text and numbers).
In Windows Explorer, these files have a .ppt extension but under 'Type' they show as 'SDLXLIFF file'.

United States
English to Spanish
More clarifying please May 10, 2012

Patrick Stenson wrote:

Miguel Carmona wrote:

When I try to open the source files with Powerpoint, it opens but with errors, and the content is gibberish (a mess of text and numbers).
In Windows Explorer, these files have a .ppt extension but under 'Type' they show as 'SDLXLIFF file'.

If by "under Type they show as SDLXLIFF files" you mean that in Studio, under "File Type Identifier" the file shows as SDLXLIFF, all you have to do is, on the very same row go the left end and click on the "+" sign to see what translatable files are contained in that SDLXLIFF file. For each file contained you will see the corresponding file type under "File Type Identifier", be it Word, PowerPoint, Excel, etc.

A SDLXLIFF file is a Studio internal bilingual file that contains the text from the source files that will be translated, along with the target text that you keep adding as you progress on your translation.

Regarding your problem opening the source PowerPoint files, could it be that your version of PowerPoint is much older than the version used to create the PPT file you are trying to open? Still, I am usually able to open PowerPoint 2010 files in PowerPoint 2003. If you have Microsoft Automatic Updates turned on, the Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack keeps updating, so probably that should not be a problem.

[Edited at 2012-05-10 21:21 GMT]

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Maybe I'm way off... May 10, 2012

.... but it sounds to me as though you are trying to open an SDLXLIFF with Powerpoint and not a PPT at all.

The reason I think this may be the case is because when you open a PPT, for example sample.ppt, it will become sample.ppt.sdlxliff

If you use windows explorer and don't show the extensions this will appear as sample.ppt with a type sdlxliff.

I hope this isn't too obvious but in Windows Explorer go to Organize - Folder & Search Options - View - Hide Extensions for known filetypes and uncheck this option. Now the filename appears as sample.ppt.sdlxliff

Apologies if I'm way off the mark.

Regards

Paul

xxxStrastran
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks May 10, 2012

Paul, that's right.

They are indeed sdlxliff files, which I suspected. But in that case, in a Project, how can i open the source files in their original, source format? It was my understanding that the folder named 'FR-fr' (my source language) would contain the source files, or that by right clicking in the file list in Studio I could open them.

Miguel, I have Powerpoint 2010 so I don't think it's the version unless I'm mistaken.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
You are correct... May 10, 2012

... in that if fr-FR is your source language then the source files will be copied into this folder. You can open them through the Studio interface if you have them open in the Editor by using File - View In - Microsoft Powerpoint as source.

Alternatively change to display the source language files and right-click on one them in the files view, then select Explore Containing Folder. This will open up windows explorer in the correct folder and you can double click the ppt to open it.

Regards

Paul

United States
English to Spanish
To open source files: Do it in Windows Explorer May 10, 2012

Patrick Stenson wrote:

Paul, that's right.

They are indeed sdlxliff files, which I suspected. But in that case, in a Project, how can i open the source files in their original, source format? It was my understanding that the folder named 'FR-fr' (my source language) would contain the source files, or that by right clicking in the file list in Studio I could open them.

Miguel, I have Powerpoint 2010 so I don't think it's the version unless I'm mistaken.

In Studio you can open files for translation (i.e., the corresponding SDLXLIFF files).

And yes, in Windows Explorer double click on your PPT file so it opens in PowerPoint.

Can you please provide a list of file extensions you see in your source file folder so we can see what you have?

[Edited at 2012-05-10 22:41 GMT]

xxxStrastran
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That's it May 11, 2012

SDL Support wrote:

... in that if fr-FR is your source language then the source files will be copied into this folder. You can open them through the Studio interface if you have them open in the Editor by using File - View In - Microsoft Powerpoint as source.

Alternatively change to display the source language files and right-click on one them in the files view, then select Explore Containing Folder. This will open up windows explorer in the correct folder and you can double click the ppt to open it.

Regards

Paul

That's exactly the process I was looking for.

Thanks for your help Paul.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Unable to view source files in a Project (Studio 2011)

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search