How to replace commas in segments containing numbers (Trados 7.5.0.756)
Thread poster: Radu Cazac

Radu Cazac
Local time: 07:05
May 10, 2012

I have the following problem:

I translate a text in Tageditor with a lot of numbers in this format: 1A.1.5.4.26
Trados recognizes the number as a repetition, but inserts the following number: 1A.1.5.4,26

It wouldn't be a big deal to replace the comma, but I have hundreds of such numbers. Just imagine how much time I waste replacing the comma manually.

Is there a solution to force Tag editor to not insert the comma instead of a point?

I use Word 2003 with Windows 7, Trados is version 7.5.0.756

Thank you

István Hirsch  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:05
English to Hungarian
Try this with the translated text May 10, 2012

Nowadays I do not use Tageditor, in addition, cannot remember which version does what, but theoretically this should work. Try it on a backup copy, if the digit-comma-digit triplets occur only in the structure to convert. Use 3 replacement steps:

Find:
,_

Replace with:
#&

Find:
Replace with:

Find:
#&
Replace with:
,_

As can be seen, in Step 1 'normal’ (text) commas are temporarily replaced with a marker, then remaining commas (hopefully between digits) are converted to a period, then markers are replaced with the original comma+space structure.

[Módosítva: 2012-05-10 15:54 GMT]

Radu Cazac
Local time: 07:05
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you May 11, 2012

Thank you for your answer, it works very well. And in the meantime, I found a way to prevent this from happening. I went to Options - Translations Memory Options - Substitution localisation and I unticked all the radio buttons there. Now the numbers are copied in the target segment without any modification.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to replace commas in segments containing numbers (Trados 7.5.0.756)

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search