Doron Greenspan MITI  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 10:57
Member (2005)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
May 11, 2012

I can't believe it!
After downloading the most recent patch for Studio 2011 (10.1.2880.3), I was horrified to discover that the Hebrew support has just gone worst:

Now I can't place the cursor after the last letter of a fully-Hebrew target segment!
(That problem used only to occur with mixed Hebrew-English segments.)

I know this issue has been solved between Studio 2009 and 2011.

Has anyone else noticed that?

Now how d
... See more
I can't believe it!
After downloading the most recent patch for Studio 2011 (10.1.2880.3), I was horrified to discover that the Hebrew support has just gone worst:

Now I can't place the cursor after the last letter of a fully-Hebrew target segment!
(That problem used only to occur with mixed Hebrew-English segments.)

I know this issue has been solved between Studio 2009 and 2011.

Has anyone else noticed that?

Now how do I downgrade back to the previous patch?

Really really frustrated Doron
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:57
English
Workaround May 11, 2012

Hi Doron,

If you use the end key I think this will work. We have logged this with development and it will be resolved with the next service pack.

Regards

Paul

Doron Greenspan MITI
Israel
Member (2005)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Question: May 11, 2012

Is there an easy way of downgrading to the previous patch?

This thing is driving me crazy - because I can't, for example, put the cursor at the beginning of the last word and delete it using Ctrl+Del...

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Downgrading the patch May 11, 2012

Hi Doron,

It is possible to uninstall CU5. Follow these steps (on Windows Vista/7):

1. Go to Control Panel -> Programs and Features. This opens the list of installed applications.

2. Click on the "View installed updates" link on the left hand side. This changes a list so you see all installed updates.

3. Go down the list until you see SDL Trados Studio 2011 SP1. Right click on "Cumulative update 5" and select Uninstall.

This wi
... See more
Hi Doron,

It is possible to uninstall CU5. Follow these steps (on Windows Vista/7):

1. Go to Control Panel -> Programs and Features. This opens the list of installed applications.

2. Click on the "View installed updates" link on the left hand side. This changes a list so you see all installed updates.

3. Go down the list until you see SDL Trados Studio 2011 SP1. Right click on "Cumulative update 5" and select Uninstall.

This will revert your Studio installation back to CU4.

Regards

Paul
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Maybe also use a different shortcut? May 11, 2012

Doron Greenspan MITI wrote:

This thing is driving me crazy - because I can't, for example, put the cursor at the beginning of the last word and delete it using Ctrl+Del...

Did you try putting the cursor at the end with the end key and then press ctrl+shift-right then delete. I know it's an extra key stroke to achieve this operation but perhaps it would still allow you to use the fixes in CU5?

Regards

Paul

Doron Greenspan MITI
Israel
Member (2005)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Paul May 12, 2012

I'd rather downgrade to the problems I know rather than deal with a whole new set of them...
How can this happen? Is there no QA for Hebrew?

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
How does anything happen? May 12, 2012

Doron Greenspan MITI wrote:

How can this happen? Is there no QA for Hebrew?

Hi Doron,

We have Beta testers and QA... but never catch everything in Hebrew or any other language. This does seem like an obvious one and given how long ago we released CU5 it's interesting your post is the first I have seen on the public forums for this.

We do have a few that one of the BiDi users on the Beta Community reported in the last couple of weeks and these have all been logged for resolution... but still some time after CU5 was released. Testing is an ongoing exercise and as we do new development work you can never take for granted that existing functionality will still behave in the same way... but as we also increase the amount of automated testing we do the number of simpler scenarios like this are more likely to be picked up even before we go to human Beta. Building the scripts does take time (in fact this takes time for human QA too) so whilst this is just one simple thing for one language, consider how many scripts need to be in place to test all languages, with all keyboard layouts, using different ways to achieve the same thing to try and catch the way all users may approach something. This is an enormous task.

But we aim to continually improve and eventually it will be good when the human Beta testers are more like sanity testers because we have such a comprehensive set of automation scripts for all our products;-)

Regards

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Hebrew support for Studio deteriorated after downloading new patch

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »