Lotus LS
Israel
Local time: 14:06
Hebrew to English
+ ...
May 11, 2012

Hi,

This might be kind of an esoteric problem but here goes:

When translating from Hebrew into English, I find that many of the numbers in the original text are not flagged as numbers by Trados (they aren't underlined and they don't appear on the list of "placeables"), due to the fact that they are preceded by a dash.

Examples -
סך של כ-45 מיליון דולר
הגיע ל-62 נקודות

This is common enough in Hebrew texts that it makes the feature of automatically placing numbers in the target segment almost useless in some documents.

I tried a crude workaround of inserting spaces before all dashes in the original, but this reduces segment recognition and messes up matches.

Can I somehow tell Trados (Studio 2011) to recognize these numbers despite the dash?

Thanks!

István Hirsch  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:06
English to Hungarian
What happens... May 11, 2012

if you delete these dashes from the original?

Lotus LS
Israel
Hebrew to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I would really like to find a solution inside Trados May 11, 2012

Deleting the dashes one at a time isn't practical because there can be hundreds or thousands in a document.

Automatically replacing all dashes with a space would resolve the recognition problem but create problems with matches from the translation memory. The same character (-) is often used to connect two parts of a compound word or phrase, and in a short sentence removing the dash is enough to significantly lower the match percentage.

In general, while I often do find myself playing around with the original to reduce Trados hassles, this seems awkward and time-consuming to me and I would rather find a solution within the software if possible.

English to Hungarian
I am afraid… May 12, 2012

if anything is glued to the digits, you will not find any solution in the framework of Studio (2009) to treat numbers as numbers.
As a workaround, I would delete unwanted dashes from both the source text and the sdltm by replacing all of these dashes with nothing. Using a suitable regular expression, you can restrict deleting to dashes that directly precede digits, leaving untouched dashes in other positions.

Lotus LS
Israel
Hebrew to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Are you sure? May 12, 2012

That's kind of tragicicon_frown.gif

I'm in Studio 2011, if that makes any difference.

Is there really no user access to the settings for what constitutes a placeable?

Anyway... I know this is a bit off-topic, but I'm not sure how I would go about doing what you suggested (deleting dashes before numbers only). Can you point me in the right direction, for a Word file?

Thanks for your help.

English to Hungarian
Deleting dashes from the source text in Word May 12, 2012

Similar problems have sometimes arisen on these pages, mainly in association with currency signs preceding numbers (for example $112), and, as far as I can remember, nobody has come up with a good solution (for Studio 2009).

As for Word, try this with a backup copy. Open the source file in Word, go to Edit/Replace,
check „Wildcard" checkbox and

Find:

_ -([0-9])

Replace with:

_\1

(note the spaces).

If there are numbers with dashes right after a hard break or soft break,

Find: ^13-([0-9]) Replace with: ^p\1

or

Find: ^l-([0-9]) Replace with: ^l\1

to delete the dashes from space/dash/digit or hard(soft) break/dash/digit structures.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Recognition of numbers preceded by dashes in Studio 2011

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search