How can I update the TM with my translation?
Thread poster: kostas19

kostas19
Local time: 12:18
May 11, 2012

Hello all,

As I am new in Trados i would like to ask something simple.

Yesterday, i received a document and i analyzed it, then I translated it.

I use Trados Wordbench.

Thanks.

LyubovPodvigina
Local time: 13:18
English to Russian
TM May 12, 2012

kostas19,
after you've selected your language pair and TM for a new document you are about to translate, all meaningful translation units are automatically added to the selected TM.

kostas19
TOPIC STARTER
update 2 May 14, 2012

LyubovPodvigina wrote:

kostas19,
after you've selected your language pair and TM for a new document you are about to translate, all meaningful translation units are automatically added to the selected TM.

Many thanks for that.

One more question, if i am not the translator and i want to update an existing TM with new translations (for example if i work as a project manager), how is this done?

Miguel Carmona  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:18
English to Spanish
Just clean the file(s) in Workbench May 14, 2012

kostas19 wrote:

... if i am not the translator and i want to update an existing TM with new translations (for example if i work as a project manager), how is this done?

Kostas19,

If it is a Word document (which by now of course will be a bilingual document), in Workbench:
1) Select the TM you want
2) Clean the file(s). To do this, select Tools/Clean Up, and in the dialog box that appears add the file(s) whose translation units you want to update your TM with. Make sure that the "Update TM" radio button is checked.

Good luck,

kostas19
TOPIC STARTER
source and target file May 14, 2012

Miguel Carmona wrote:

kostas19 wrote:

... if i am not the translator and i want to update an existing TM with new translations (for example if i work as a project manager), how is this done?

Kostas19,

If it is a Word document (which by now of course will be a bilingual document), in Workbench:
2) Clean the file(s). To do this, select Tools/Clean Up, and in the dialog box that appears add the file(s) whose translation units you want to update your TM with. Make sure that the "Update TM" radio button is checked.

Good luck,

many thanks for that.
So i add both source and target file?
Thanks for letting me know.

Miguel Carmona  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:18
English to Spanish
Bilingual file May 14, 2012

kostas19 wrote:

Miguel Carmona wrote:

kostas19 wrote:

Kostas19,

Good luck,

many thanks for that.
So i add both source and target file?
Thanks for letting me know.

I was assuming that the translation had been done in a Word-Workbench setup, in which case, the resulting "unclean" file is a bilingual file, which can be cleaned in Workbench, to clean the file to produce a target file and to update the TM at the same time.

If what you have is two separate files, source and target, in order to update your TM you first need to align both files using WinAlign. You will need to do some reading of Trados help file to do all this chain of operations.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search