Studio 2009 - delivery of IDML file in sections and different segment numbers
Thread poster: xxxjacana54
xxxjacana54  Identity Verified
Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
May 12, 2012

Hello,

This may or may not be related to another topic which I just started about an SDLXLIFF validation error.

I'm working on an IDML file, English to Spanish.

The client asked for some pages not to be translated and for delivery in "chunks". Since the different sections of the text are pretty much self-contained, it's reasonable to check and deliver in sections.

I don't own Indesign and the agency provided only one long file.

So after about 1/4 of the translation, at a reasonable stopping point, I checked what I had done. Then I saved a copy as "filename first part". Then I cleaned that copy and produced an IDML file in Spanish. The text looks fine.

I repeated further on, and then I realized that the segment numbers in these partial versions in Spanish aren't the same as the ones in the original file in English. Not that they are jumbled. But, for example, one segment which said simply "00" has been skipped. Further down some segments have been added (I haven't yet identified which).

Is this because I've been saving copies and cleaning those copies?

I'm hoping that when I finish the translation and clean the original file this problem will not occur but I'm a bit concerned and thought I'd ask for opinions before I get too close to the deadline.

Thanks!

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2009 - delivery of IDML file in sections and different segment numbers

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search