Opening a .ttx file in Word 2010
Thread poster: Elizabeth Yellen
Elizabeth Yellen  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:14
French to English
+ ...
May 13, 2012

Does anyone know if there is a way to open a .ttx file in Word 2010? Older posts led me to download TTXpress, but it does not seem compatible with my version of Word. Many thanks in advance!

Direct link Reply with quote

Cheng Peng  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 17:14
Member (2010)
English to Chinese
+ ...
open it as text May 13, 2012

.ttx is xml/text actually. it can be opened in/ any text editor. Just open it as text in Word.

French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Opening a .ttx file in Word 2010 May 13, 2012

Thank you for your reply! That does work, but I end up with all the tags and the source text. Is that what it should look like? I was hoping to see the translation, which I don't.

Marina Soldati  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 06:14
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes May 13, 2012

That does work, but I end up with all the tags and the source text.

That´s what you should see.

Which was the source file the ttx was created from?
If it was a Word file, and you have the original file, you could go to File > Save Target as and create the target file.

But a ttx file is a bilingual file, so no matter which program you open it with, you´ll always get source text + tags + target text.

If you want to have the translation in a Word file, you can always select the whole text in TagEditor, copy it to clipboard, paste it in a Word file and then, delete manually the source text and tags.

Hope this helps

Marina

Cheng Peng  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 17:14
Member (2010)
English to Chinese
+ ...
YES May 13, 2012

Marina Soldati wrote:

That does work, but I end up with all the tags and the source text.

That´s what you should see.

Which was the source file the ttx was created from?
If it was a Word file, and you have the original file, you could go to File > Save Target as and create the target file.

But a ttx file is a bilingual file, so no matter which program you open it with, you´ll always get source text + tags + target text.

If you want to have the translation in a Word file, you can always select the whole text in TagEditor, copy it to clipboard, paste it in a Word file and then, delete manually the source text and tags.

Hope this helps

Marina

Yes. If you intend to get the transated version of the Word, open the .ttx in Trados TagEdit, then File->Save Target as.... After that, open the target file you just saved in Word.

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 11:14
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Why? May 13, 2012

What is the purpose of opening a .ttx file in Word?

French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Opening a .ttx file in Word 2010 May 13, 2012

Thank you, everyone! This answers my question.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Opening a .ttx file in Word 2010

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search