.resx files please help
Thread poster: Shankaran Viswanathan

Shankaran Viswanathan  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 22:15
French to English
+ ...
May 14, 2012

A customer is proposing a job for the translation of a large volume of .resx files. I understand these are similar to .xml and can be translated with SDL PASSOLO 2011.
Since I am a beginner with such files, I will be grateful for all your comments, tips and suggestions.

Thanks in advance

Vishwa

Direct link Reply with quote

Yigit Ati  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 19:45
English to Turkish
+ ...
Free Tools May 14, 2012

Hi Shankaran,

There are other free tools out there other than Passolo.

Don't get the impression that SDL Passolo is the only solution.

Check Resx Resource Translator.

Yiğit

jeff2
Local time: 12:45
".resx' files are ".xml" files May 14, 2012

I'm the author of a commercial localization product that specifically targets ".resx" files. You can read a little more here (search for my reply):

http://www.proz.com/forum/cat_tools_technical_help/65516-best_cat_tool_for_resx_trados_vs_others.html

Note that ".resx" files *are* ".xml" files. They're normally created by programmers who use MSFT Visual Studio. This is the program most of the world's Windows developers use to write software for Windows. Programmers don't normally create ".resx" files by hand however, but instead they use the various facilities built into Visual Studio (long story). You definitely need a tool to translate them since it's highly error prone to do it manually (nobody in the real world does). This is what my program and others do of course. The free ones I've seen are usually very crude however, and don't make life that much easier in my opinion. They also usually lack many important features. While I may be considered biased of course, and I'm not here specifically to sell my own program, it actually does (objectively) make the job extremely easy for both the developer and the translator. You may wish to read about it at my site, and your client in particular would likely benefit significantly (if they're .NET developers, which is probably the case). If you have any specific questions about my program, you can contact me by email which is listed at my site (I won't publish it here in case the moderators object). If you have any questions about ".resx" files in particular, feel free to ask. I'd be glad to help.

[Edited at 2012-05-15 13:30 GMT]

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:45
English
If you own Studio already... May 14, 2012

... then you may also find the resx filetype in Studio will suffice your needs.

Just to add something else to the pot.

Regards

Paul

Shankaran Viswanathan  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 22:15
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you May 16, 2012

Thank you for your help. It seems that there are quite a few tools available on the net and mostly involve extracting the text to be translated and injecting them back again.

However, if you have Trados, it is best to make full use of it.

I am still waiting for the customer's approval to start this job.

Vishwa

Jacques DP  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 18:45
Member (2003)
English to French
Does SDL Studio support comments in resx files? Dec 20, 2013

Hi there,

Resx files can contain comments. Do such comments appear in the Editor in SDL Studio. (I have version 2009, but answers for other versions are welcome as well.)

Thanks.

[Edited at 2013-12-20 11:07 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

.resx files please help

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search