Thread poster: Luciana Capisani

Luciana Capisani  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 03:27
Member (2004)
English to Portuguese
May 14, 2012

Hi all

I am working on a Studio 2011 project with +- 700 files.

I need to find a text string in one of the files already translated.
Is there a global Find command that will search all 700 files at the same time? Apparently the only Find available searches only the active file in the Editor window.

This would be so ridiculous that I cannot believe it is true! Can anyone let me know if my suspicion is correct??

Many thanks!

Luciana Capisani

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:27
English
Unless the files are merged... May 15, 2012

... this is true. But you can use the SDL Batch Search and Replace application that is installed with Studio 2011. You can find this in Start - All Programs - SDL - SDL Trados Studio 2011 - Open Exchange Apps.

Regards

Paul

Brazil
Member (2004)
English to Portuguese
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! May 15, 2012

Hi Paul

Thank you so much for your reply. I have used Studio only occasionally so I was not aware of those tools.

Have a great day,

Luciana

Miguel Carmona  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:27
English to Spanish
Merging files May 16, 2012

Luciana Capisani wrote:
Apparently the only Find available searches only the active file in the Editor window.

SDL Support wrote:
Unless the files are merged... this is true.

Exactly. If all the files are merged into one, then you are dealing with just one file and you can do all your searches and replaces within Studio, without resorting to any application outside Studio. The work becomes much simpler. And then you have instant Autopropagation throughout all the files contained in your resulting file, and more benefits.

If I remember well, having the ability to merge files was the very feature that convinced me to move from Trados 2007 to Studio, and of course, there are many others.

[Edited at 2012-05-16 04:11 GMT]

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:27
English
Just on this... May 16, 2012

... there is a little known feature called Export Frequent Segments in here:

Tools - Options - Language Pairs - All Language Pairs - Batch Processing - Analyze Files

that is quite helpful if you don't have merged files for autopropagation.

This will allow you to create an SDLXLIFF file that contains segents that are repeated more than once (or a number you configure) throughout the Project. You then translate this SDLXLIFF first. Once done pretranslate your Project with the updates from the translation and you achieve a similar result of having repetitive segments translated already.

A little off topic but it seemed like a useful addition to the tips from Miguel.

Regards

Paul

[Edited at 2012-05-16 08:22 GMT]

Brazil
Member (2004)
English to Portuguese
TOPIC STARTER
"Unmerging" files? May 16, 2012

Hi Miguel and Paul,

This is great information for the Studio novicesicon_smile.gif

However, I believe I need to send the project back with the exact same file structure I received, correct? So in case I decide to work with merged files I would need to apply the resulting TM to the original untranslated project package? Or will I be able to restore the original files ("unmerge" them) after translation is done?

Thanks!!

Luciana

Miguel Carmona  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:27
English to Spanish
1) Save as target; 2) Create return package May 16, 2012

Luciana Capisani wrote:

Hi Miguel and Paul,

This is great information for the Studio novicesicon_smile.gif

However, I believe I need to send the project back with the exact same file structure I received, correct? So in case I decide to work with merged files I would need to apply the resulting TM to the original untranslated project package? Or will I be able to restore the original files ("unmerge" them) after translation is done?

Thanks!!

Luciana

Hi Luciana,

Just use the Save as target command under the File menu, and the target files will be saved in their corresponding target language folder within the folder structure of the project package.

Once you do that, just create the return package (Project > Create Return Package) and send it to your client.

Good luck,

Miguel

[Edited at 2012-05-16 21:49 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2011 Freelance: how to find a term in several files at once

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search