Thread poster: A. R. Raman
A. R. Raman
Singapore
Member (2008)
German to English
+ ...
May 15, 2012

Hello,

I am sorry if this topic is being repeated again here, the only reason I have to do this is that nothing is working for me here. The problem is:

I noticed a few days back that MS word was unable to use the Spelling and grammar check. I ignored it by thinking possibly something wrong and would do it later.
Then couple of days back I started getting the error message regarding some Macro issue. I went trough some forums and try to resolve it but did not work. all with normal.dot, trados8.dotm etc have been tried by me.
Now when I try to fix it will all the explanations provided in various forums havent helped me out.

Troubleshooting:
I uninstalled windows 2007 completely and also uninstalled Trados 2007 and Studio 2009. then firstly I re-installed Ms office. This time around it worked fine even the Spell check, however the German spell check did not work, only the English one worked. Then I re-installed Trados 2007 and right after that again the spell checker stopped working even the English one. I am not getting any error messages now and everything seems to be normal but its just not working.

So going with it, I can only say the problem is with Trados??? I am still not sure, as German spell check did not work when I re-installed word (Trados was not installed then).

I would appreciate if someone could help me here. I need this a bit urgently as I have to get some work done.

thanks a lot for your response.

Arvind

I would like to add. The trados plug in, in word is there and has not disappeared, as many people have complained. All the buttons are stacked on the right side of the pane and nothing happens when I click to open a segment. So thats not working either!!! So I guess it should be related to some issue with Trados. I have uninstalled and re-installed it again, but same situation.

[Edited at 2012-05-15 05:44 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Claire Cox
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:28
French to English
+ ...
Are you trying to use Trados 2007 or Word? May 15, 2012

Hi Arvind,

Sorry, I'm not clear: are you actually trying to use Trados 2007 or Word? I had to load Trados 2007 when I bought Studio in order to be able to convert a 2007 TM that a client had sent me and of course it added lots of add-ins in Word that I really didn't need as I use Studio 2009 or Wordfast. That meant that whenever I opened a Word document I had to disable the Trados/Multiterm add-ins before I could get the Wordfast toolbar to work, which was a bit of a pain. Then recently I started getting the macro messages you mention whenever I opened any Word document and had to click on various pop-up screens to get rid of the messages before I could proceed, which was an even bigger pain. In desperation, I decided that as I never used Trados 2007 in Word I'd delete the add-ins from the Word startup menu (via Users/Roaming/Application Data/Microsoft/Word on my computer) and lo and behold the pop-ups have disappeared and I can use Wordfast in Word without messing about with the add-ins first. Not noticed any adverse effects on either Word or Studio, so I'm hoping that's fixed the problem.

Of course, if you need to have Trados 2007 operational in Word, this won't help at all, but I just thought I'd check.

Good luck!

Claire

[Edited at 2012-05-15 08:41 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-05-15 08:42 GMT]

A. R. Raman
Singapore
Member (2008)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Claire May 15, 2012

Hi Claire,

Thanks a lot for your response. Yes I know its a bit confusing what I wrote. I have been trying to use Trados plugin in word. I usually never did that as I always converted Word file to a Tag editor and then did the translation, but one client got bugged when I sent him unclean files in .ttx format. No idea why?? Tag editor works fine and the spell check in it as well. I actually haven't used Tag editor in a while as well. I have been using Studio 2009 and that works fine. I usually have the habit of doing a spell check even in the final document after clean up and since that was not happening it was a bit of a pain.

I have no issues in not using Trados 2007, but some clients are still insisting on that.
Guess I would have to do the same as you did.

Thanks for your suggestion. Appreciate your help.

Regards

Arvind

Daniel Gebauer  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:28
Spanish to German
+ ...
Thank you Claire May 15, 2012

Your contribution to this question also covers my question in this forum http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/224765-trados_2007_installation_without_ms_word_add_in.html

So you did a double good job.
Kind regards
Daniel

Claire Cox
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Glad to be of service May 15, 2012

Glad it's helped, Daniel. I must have missed your question.

I know I've had problems in the past with certain programs interfering with each other in Word - Abbyy pdf converter automatically installs a toolbar in Word for example, which interferes with Wordfast commands, so I'd learnt in the past to do a customized set-up of Abbyy which doesn't install it to Word. I imagine you can probably do the same with Trados 2007, but am not sure. Anyway, removing the add-ins from the start-up menu seems to have done the trick, so glad it's helped you too.

Best wishes,

Claire

A. R. Raman
Singapore
Member (2008)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Removing addins May 15, 2012

Hi Claire,

How to remove plugins from start up. Wont disabling them by using Word options> addins> uncheck trados8.dotm work?

thanks

Arvind

Claire Cox
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
@Arvind May 15, 2012

When you say some clients insist on Trados 2007 - does that mean they send you the ttx files in the first place? I'm relatively new to Trados, but gradually finding my way around Studio 2009 and I have one major corporate client who sends files in ttx format. I process them in Studio and then press "Save target as" when it comes to saving the file at the end (rather than just save which creates the xliff file). You then have the option to save the ttx file as well as a file in the original format. You probably know all this, but I just thought it might be another option to avoid working directly in Word.

All the best,

Claire

A. R. Raman
Singapore
Member (2008)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Depends May 15, 2012

It depends on what the client wants. Some clients do send .ttx file but "most" of them send Word file. As I mentioned earlier, this one client got bugged and did not understand that I had converted the word file into a .ttx file and hence sent him .ttx file as unclean file. I am facing some problems when I am cleaning up .ttx file it somehow does not give the output file in word, but in ttx, whereas once you do the clean up the file should automatically come out as clean word file. Thats not happening at my end. so I do it manually.

Claire Cox
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Temporarily May 15, 2012

Arvind Raman wrote:

Hi Claire,

How to remove plugins from start up. Wont disabling them by using Word options> addins> uncheck trados8.dotm work?

thanks

Arvind

As I understand it, that will remove it temporarily, but then the next time you open Word, it's still in the start-up file, so you'd have to do it all again. Grrrr! Removing it from the start-up file takes it out of the equation altogether.

Claire

A. R. Raman
Singapore
Member (2008)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
got it May 15, 2012

Ah ok got it. But I just wonder how come this problem started all of a sudden I have been using this for quite a while but never faced any issues. ahhh... oh I just remembered couple of times when I got the target file in word i.e after translation from either .ttx or Studio or was that just when I opened a new word file.. cant remember precisely, there used to be a dialog box on left side saying some thing like ... "Testspllchk" something and I just ignored/closed the pane 2-3 times that happened maybe that was the reason this thing started. I suspect yes....

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2007 not working with Word 2007

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search