2011 translation unit settings, how?
Thread poster: Heather McCrae

Heather McCrae  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:24
Member (2012)
German to English
May 15, 2012

Hi, I am just starting to use studio 2011 after years of 2007. it is a real pain for me, but I am hanging on in there.
my question, in 2007 you simply set the project and file settings for each job by typing the necessary information and saving it. But here in 2011 I am lost in the possibilities. How do I set it up so that I can simply select the settings I need for each job, as I tend to jump from one job to another during the course of a day. 2011 is so different that I am really struggling to do the most basic things and the tutorials, etc. offered by SDL are just as complicated, they assume you know what they are talking about, haha.
please let me know how you do it!!
and:
If there is anyone in Hamburg who would be willing to help me out for a couple of hours, I would almost cry with delight (as well as offering coffee and cake!)
please help
desperate
Heather McCrae
040::::18046949

[Edited at 2012-05-15 09:26 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Anne Lee  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:24
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
It all happens in 'Project Settings' May 15, 2012

Dear Heather,
You're not alone, there must be others like us. This is very much the blind helping the blind here, because I have also found the switch to Trados Studio 2011 difficult because of the myriad options. I switched from SDL Trados 2007. There are a few useful SDL videos on YouTube for Studio 2011, but not nearly enough.

Like you, I am usually working on several projects at once. But I found it has all become easier after I limited the number of projects in the project list; you can remove them from the list and get them back another time. Secondly, the 'project settings' feature really seems to dictate all the options. The menu under 'Project settings' can be very detailed if you open up the various sections. Any changes made there really are stored for the specific project you are working on.

Making changes under 'Tools' 'Options' has also been useful, particularly the font adaptation.
Good luck and hang on in there.

Eileen Cartoon  Identity Verified
Italian to English
Just a piece of advice May 15, 2012

When I started out I had switched from SDLX which is more similar to Studio that Trados was. However I made an essential mistake and it took me al long time to figure out. It is best to create a new project for each job instead of starting from your folder, right clicking and selecting open. Create the project and as you go, all the options will be presented
Eileen

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Project Templates are a good idea May 15, 2012

Hi,

There are a few simple things to learn and then it's really not that hard... probably easier than before. Project Templates are one of these things worth learning.

When you create a new Project the settings all come from the Tools Options settings as this becomes the default template. So you can add TMs you use, set the language pair etc.

If you save the settings you used when you get to the last window of Project Creation as a template then you can build up different templates for each client. This means that when you create a Project you select the appropriate template in the first window of the Project Wizard and the settings you saved before will be used again... so specific TMs, match bands, pretranslation settings, termbases etc...

Pretty much all you have to do is add the files for that particular project.

Maybe, if you think it would help, we can do a webex for any interested users just on this aspect?

Regards

Paul

Heather McCrae  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2012)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
thank you! May 15, 2012

thanks for all the help, that has really gone long way towards making me feel a little bit more confortable with 2011.
what is a webex, and yes, a good idea, I am sure there are plenty more people around tearing their hair out, Ive been using trados for years but this was really getting stressy. Still plenty of scope for improvement SDL!!
ok will be back I am sure with more questions, but for now, back to work.
thanks again
Heather

Anne Lee  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:24
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Yes, I would like a webex on creating project templates. May 15, 2012

Just responding to SDL's offer.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Webex on creating templates May 16, 2012

Hi,

ok - drop me an email over the course of this week so I have details for everyone interested and I'll arrange this for sometime next week.

Regards

Paul
pfilkin@sdl.com

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

2011 translation unit settings, how?

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search