How to prevent control + enter from confirming segment in Studio 2011?
Thread poster: Richard Hill

Richard Hill  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 14:52
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
May 15, 2012

Hi,

Could someone please tell me how I can prevent control + enter from confirming segment in Studio 2011. The reason being that a client has asked me not to change the segment status of the files. I realize that just not using Ctrl + enter would be a solution, but there are quite a few files and I have been trying to do this but, out of habit, I keep forgetting.

Thanks!

Rich

Direct link Reply with quote

Marina Steinbach  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:52
English to German
+ ...
Changing the shortcut should do the job. May 15, 2012

rich. wrote:

Could someone please tell me how I can prevent control + enter from confirming segment in Studio 2011.

Hi Rich,

Changing the shortcut should do the job.

To be more specific:

-> Tools -> Options -> Keyboard Shortcuts

Then it is the shortcut "Confirm and Move to Next Segment"

[Edited at 2012-05-15 23:14 GMT]

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:52
English
A couple of things to consider... May 15, 2012

Hi Rich,

First, if you don't confirm then you don't send to the TM so you lose the ability to work with the TM as you go. But if you wish then maybe do this:

1. Swap the shortcuts for confirm and move to next (ctrl+enter) with just move to next (alt+down)
2. When you're done import the sdlxliff into your TM allowing for all segments statuses to be included

So you at least get the benefit at the end.

Why doesn't the client want you to change them?

I did wonder if you could use the Legacy Converter and convert to TTX then add the TTX to your Project and translate normally... then update the SDLXLIFF with the TTX. But unfortunately there isn't an option for leaving the segment statuses as they were on import... maybe a nice enhancement for this workflow.

Regards

Paul

Mexico
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Changing the shortcut May 15, 2012

Marina Steinbach wrote:

Changing the shortcut should do the job.

Nice idea; I hadn't thought of that.

Thanks Marina!

Mexico
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Why doesn't the client want you to change them May 15, 2012

SDL Support wrote:

Why doesn't the client want you to change them?

Paul

Hi Paul,

Good question, I will ask the client?

In the meantime I think I'll do as you suggest and swap the shortcuts

Regards,

Rich

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:52
English
Just an interesting update... May 17, 2012

SDL Support wrote:
I did wonder if you could use the Legacy Converter and convert to TTX then add the TTX to your Project and translate normally... then update the SDLXLIFF with the TTX. But unfortunately there isn't an option for leaving the segment statuses as they were on import... maybe a nice enhancement for this workflow.

Hi Rich,

I mentioned this to the developer of the SDLXLIFF to Legacy Converter yesterday and he has added this capability to a new build added to the OpenExchange today. Actually he added these two enhancements:

1. If the target language ID is not identified within the (target) SDLXLIFF file, then the Legacy tool will try recover the target culture info from either the project file (if present) or the language ID that is part of the file path information
  2. This build also allows to user to choose the status ‘Don’t Change’ for the setting associated with ‘Change status of translations that were updated to:’

So the second part is relevant here as you could use all the features of Studio to translate the TTX export and then import it to update your SDLXLIFF without changing any of the statuses... quite a neat idea for someone who has to work this way.

You can get this application here if you didn't yet:

http://www.sdl.com/en/language-technology/sdl-openexchange/AppDetails.aspx?appid=194

Regards

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to prevent control + enter from confirming segment in Studio 2011?

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search