Validating numbers in Studio 2009 - is there a way of doing this in one go?
Thread poster: Claire Cox
Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:00
French to English
+ ...
May 16, 2012

Hello,

I'm relatively new to Trados Studio 2009 and am working through a biggish translation which has lots ot tables and numbers, most of which stay the same in English. I'm finding that validating each number as it crops up is taking a very long time and as I'm not paid to translate the numbers (presumably they're not included in the analysis?), I'd really rather not be sitting here twiddling my thumbs while it thinks about each one. Is there a way of doing them in one go, I wonde
... See more
Hello,

I'm relatively new to Trados Studio 2009 and am working through a biggish translation which has lots ot tables and numbers, most of which stay the same in English. I'm finding that validating each number as it crops up is taking a very long time and as I'm not paid to translate the numbers (presumably they're not included in the analysis?), I'd really rather not be sitting here twiddling my thumbs while it thinks about each one. Is there a way of doing them in one go, I wonder? Presumably if I leave them unvalidated, it will look as if I haven't finished the translation, so that's not helpful either.

I'd be grateful for any suggestions.

Many thanks.

Claire
Collapse

Laura Di Palma
Laura Di Palma  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 22:00
Member (2011)
English to Italian
+ ...
ctrl+ins May 16, 2012

Just copy the source target and then, translate what you need to 'change'.

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sorry, I should have been more explicit May 16, 2012

Thanks Laura - I should perhaps have been more explicit. After pressing Crtl + Insert to transfer the first number, the rest have been auto-propagated so are already there, just not shown as validated. I don't need to make any changes to most of them, but when I try to validate them, it takes 5 seconds for each segment to validate (as opposed to instantaneously for a normal text segment in the same file). Given that there are loads of these, this is a huge waste of my time!

I have i
... See more
Thanks Laura - I should perhaps have been more explicit. After pressing Crtl + Insert to transfer the first number, the rest have been auto-propagated so are already there, just not shown as validated. I don't need to make any changes to most of them, but when I try to validate them, it takes 5 seconds for each segment to validate (as opposed to instantaneously for a normal text segment in the same file). Given that there are loads of these, this is a huge waste of my time!

I have in the meantime spoken to the client, who wants this as a ttx file anyway, and they show as fully validated 100% matches in Tag Editor even though I haven't validated them in Studio so it may not be an issue. But if anyone has any ideas as to how I can validate them all en masse, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
If you really need to... May 17, 2012

... because the TM won't use them given you already have at least one in the TM. Studio doesn't need numbers if they are recognised and this is why they are automatically translated. So if they get a blue underline on them when you work they are recognised and won't be added to the TM.

However, you can filter on the number only segments using the number only filter for Studio 2011, or a regular expression for Studio 2009. So, enter this into the display filter and this should fil
... See more
... because the TM won't use them given you already have at least one in the TM. Studio doesn't need numbers if they are recognised and this is why they are automatically translated. So if they get a blue underline on them when you work they are recognised and won't be added to the TM.

However, you can filter on the number only segments using the number only filter for Studio 2011, or a regular expression for Studio 2009. So, enter this into the display filter and this should filter your number only segments.... if it doesn't just post a few examples of the ones that don't.

^[0-9.,]+$

Then select them all at once by clicking on the segment number at the top to highlight the first segment, then scroll down and while holding the shift key down click on the last segment number. Now right click over the segment numbers column and change the status to whatever you like. You can then run a batch task to update the TM but it may be pointless as they won't be added unless they are not really numbers (as defined by the MicroSoft Culture sets).

Regards

Paul
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
If you are copying source to target May 17, 2012

Claire Cox wrote:
After pressing Crtl + Insert to transfer the first number, ...

Then you may not need to worry about these at all... you could simply filter on them all at the start of the job, copy source to target in one go (Alt+Shift+insert), change the status to translated so your stats are upto date and lock them (Ctrl+L) and then forget about them.

Regards

Paul

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Many thanks May 17, 2012

SDL Support wrote:

However, you can filter on the number only segments using the number only filter for Studio 2011, or a regular expression for Studio 2009. So, enter this into the display filter and this should filter your number only segments.... if it doesn't just post a few examples of the ones that don't.

^[0-9.,]+$

Then select them all at once by clicking on the segment number at the top to highlight the first segment, then scroll down and while holding the shift key down click on the last segment number. Now right click over the segment numbers column and change the status to whatever you like. You can then run a batch task to update the TM but it may be pointless as they won't be added unless they are not really numbers (as defined by the MicroSoft Culture sets).

Regards

Paul

Thank you so much, Paul - this worked a treat (once I'd worked out where to find the Display Filter (under View Toolbars in case anyone else is wondering!)). The client had already said it wouldn't really matter if I left them unvalidated, but from my point of view it makes it easier to move through the document after spell-checking and making any other changes, rather than thinking I have to skip the unvalidated numbers and potentially miss out other things - satisfies my tidy mind in any case! I very much appreciate your responding so promptly.

Best wishes

Claire

[Edited at 2012-05-17 22:44 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Validating numbers in Studio 2009 - is there a way of doing this in one go?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »